Good Morning Chicago DSA,
It was a real garbage news week this last week. Just one tragic event after another. Our country is being terrorized by right wing white supremacist extremists egged on by the President and the conservative movement. They will only grow more bold.
Folks, the work we do in CDSA grows more and more urgent. We must continue building power in our communities and in Chicago so that we can stand strong against the rising forces of fascism and white supremacy. I urge you to talk with your family, your friends, your neighbors, and your co-workers about what’s happening. Let them know that DSA is committed to fighting back and organizing a feminist, anti-racist, and socialist future. It is through these face to face conversations that we will win.
After a busy weekend, we have a relatively light schedule this week. Thanks to everybody who came out to all the events yesterday and Friday. And major kudos to the organizers of those events. If you happened to take any photos at any CDSA events this week that you don’t mind sharing, we’d appreciate seeing over here at comms – email@example.com. We also love photos of events!!
Information for all of this week’s events can be found below. I’ll see you out there, comrades.
- Lift the Ban Canvassing; Rogers Park and Logan Square
Chicago DSA is going full steam ahead in our fight to Lift the Ban on rent control in Illinois. We’re out every weekend (and some weekdays too!) canvassing in Rogers Park and Logan Square. Check out the links for a list of exact dates and locations and if you’re interested in getting involved please sign up here.
- Socialist Night School: On Marx; 1 PM – 3 PM; UE Hall; 37 S. Ashland Ave.
CDSA’s Political Education and Policy Committee presents the introductory session in the first semester of our new Socialist Night School program. Comrades come rally as we dive into Marx and Marxism, perhaps the most essential foundation of socialist theory and praxis. Our main reading will be Marx and Engels’ landmark Communist Manifesto, with a couple short supplemental readings.
Manifesto link: https://www.marxists.org/archive/marx/works/1848/communist-manifesto/
- DSA Devil’s Night Canvass with Rossana for 33; 6 PM – 8:30 PM; 3248 W. Montrose Ave.
Calling all Chicagoland DSA members. What better way to spend the night before Halloween than knocking doors and petitioning for Rossana Rodriguez, the DSA endorsed Aldermanic Candidate for the 33rd Ward? Join us on Devil’s Night.
Let’s get the word out. We’re building neighborhoods for the many, not the few.
- Socialist Feminist Working Group Meeting; 7 PM – 8:30 PM; CDSA Office; 3411 W. Diversey Ave.
All are welcome at the monthly meeting of the Socialist Feminist Working Group! We will be holding elections for our steering committee as well as discussing our goals and planning projects for the next year.
- Internal Elections Committee Meeting; 6 PM – 7:30 PM; CDSA Office; 3411 W. Diversey Ave.
Elections matter! Especially ones internal to our organization.
If you would like to get involved and are wondering how to contribute to the chapter, one possibility is through the planning and implementing of our chapter’s elections for things like Executive Officers, Branch Steering Committees, and National Convention Delegations in 2019. We’re just getting started and we’d love to get members involved! If you’re unfamiliar, the CDSA Office can be accessed using the call box at the door. The dial number is 115.
- The Strike and Solidarity Committee has set up an SMS system to keep people posted about strike and solidarity actions. People that want to get updates should text SOLIDARITY to 55222
- The Health Care Working Group is out in force canvassing for Medicare for All! If anyone is interested in joining their fight for universal healthcare they canvas every Saturday from noon to 3pm at both the Division Blue line stop and the 18th street Pink line stop (except this Saturday, 9/18 when they will be having a data entry party from the signatures they’ve collected). The goal of this canvassing is to get folks to sign a petition in support of H.R.676 and S.1804 which they use to lobby local House Reps to support Medicare for All. If you’re interested, please fill out this form to the best of your current knowledge. You can always come back and fill the form out again with updated dates that do/don’t work for you so long as you use the same email. Thanks!
- Please consider donating to CDSA! I know we’re socialists and most of us don’t have much in our bank accounts but we appreciate donations of any amount. Your one-time or monthly recurring donation will help CDSA continue building democratic socialism in Chicago!
- Grievance Policy
If you ever feel you are being harassed by another member of DSA, or made to feel uncomfortable by a member, or have a conflict with another member, please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org to get in touch with our chapter’s Harassment and Grievance Officers. Additionally, there is a National Grievance Officer you can reach out to as well. Her name is Paula Brantner, and her email is nationalgrievanceofficer@
dsausa.org. If you’re interested in learning more about DSA’s grievance policy, and good resource is Resolution 33 that was pass at the National DSA Convention in 2017