Good Morning Chicago DSA,
Folks, I need to apologize. I totally forgot to send out an email this morning and I am truly sorry for that. I know you expect the best from me and that means top-notch email authoring that’s delivered fresh every Sunday morning. It won’t happen again!
But, since this email is late, I’ve got a couple things to report:
First, the Executive Committee has officially endorsed the CTU-Acts Charter School strike. We want CDSA to turn out and show up for this strike so reach out to one of our Labor Working Group chairs, Rachel Johnson, for info on how to get involved with that and also text SOLIDARITY to 55222 for up to date info on strike and solidarity information.
Second, CDSA had its general meeting today. We had a good showing at the Crowne Plaza downtown with lots of great updates on the year and reports from our various campaigns. The big news coming out of the meeting is that we also endorsed Ugo Okere for alderman in the 40th Ward. Huge congratulations to Ugo! Looking forward to supporting that campaign, as well as the campaigns of all of our other endorsed alderman candidates over the next few months.
All of this week’s event info is posted below. I’ll see you out there, comrades 🙂
- Anti-Racism Working Group Meeting; 7 PM – 9 PM; UE Hall; 37 S. Ashland Ave.
Please attend as we discuss end-of-year work related to Immigration Rights, Community Police Oversight, and more!
- Environmental Justice Working Group Meeting; 7 PM – 8:30 PM; CDSA Office; 3411 W. Diversey Ave.
Please join the Environmental Justice Working Group at our last meeting of 2018! We will be discussing the ongoing energy democratization campaign as well as hear from members that are running for the working group’s steering committee leadership positions.
- Stop the Vote at Committee on Housing and Real Estate; 10 AM; City Hall; 121 N. Lasalle Dr; 2nd Floor
CDSA’s housing working group is a member of the Chicago Housing Justice League, which seeks to include meaningful measures to improve housing justice in Chicago’s renewing 5-year housing plan. This event is to force the city council to stop the vote on the currently-drafted 5-year plan until after the 2019 municipal elections. A call to action! Please come!
- Health Care Working Group Winter Fundraiser; 8 PM – 11 PM; Waterhouse Tavern and Grill; 3407 N. Paulina St.
This is a fundraiser for the CDSA Health Care Working Group to support our Medicare For All campaign. The back bar area will be reserved for our event and wristbands can be purchased (cash or card) for $30 which includes unlimited well cocktails, domestic beers, house wine and sangria for 3 hours! For every wristband purchased, a $10 donation will be given to the HCWG. Enjoy an evening of fun and hanging out with fellow DSA members all while raising funds to support Medicare For All. Guests are welcome!
- Illinois DSA Meetup; Friday – Sunday; Bloomington-Normal
The sign up period for this event is over but I want to wish everybody who is going to this well. Have a fun time making some sweet state-wide socialism.
- The Strike and Solidarity Committee has set up an SMS system to keep people posted about strike and solidarity actions. People that want to get updates should text SOLIDARITY to 55222
- Renew your dues! It’s been two years since the 2016 election which spurred a lot of us into joining. That means that for some of us, it’s time to renew. If that’s you, you can do so here: https://act.dsausa.org/donate/membership/ (Consider switching to monthly too!) Look out for some exciting news about dues renewal pins coming later this week.
- Grievance Policy. If you ever feel you are being harassed by another member of DSA, or made to feel uncomfortable by a member, or have a conflict with another member, please reach out to email@example.com to get in touch with our chapter’s Harassment and Grievance Officers.