Good Morning Chicago DSA,
We are just 2 days from starting a brand new year. Hopefully this last week without any DSA events has left people rested and ready to get cracking at socialism again in 2019. I don’t know about you but I’ve already got my resolutions set and I’m positive I’m going to hit them all this year (don’t ask about last year). Here they are: 1. Finally finish and send out that CDSA membership questionnaire I’ve been putting off for months. 2. Cook more food that isn’t boxed mac and cheese. 3. Talk to more non-socialists in my life about socialism. (Always Be Chatting!). I’m aiming fairly low to give myself a realistic goal, y’know. If you’ve got some good socialist New Years resolutions and a twitter account, please tweet them and tag @ChicagoCityDSA in your tweet and we’ll retweet it. We love hearing about that kind of thing!
There are some big events coming up this week, especially next weekend! All the information is below. I’ll see you out there, comrades 🙂
- Canvass for Ugo; 10:30 AM – 1:30 PM; Emmerson Park; 1820 W. Granville Ave.
Come by for our weekly canvass! The 40th is ready for expanded affordable housing, participatory budgeting, and more money for our neighborhood public schools – but only if we fight for it!
- Anti-Racism Working Group Meeting; 7 PM – 8:30 PM; UE Hall; 37 S. Ashland Ave.
2019. Rise and Grind. Let’s get that bread, and by bread we mean civilian police oversight, a stop to a wasteful cop academy, and an end to Chicago and Gary ICE deportations. Check in on all this and more!
- Medicare For All IL-5 Campaign Meeting; 7 PM – 8:30 PM; Conrad Sulzer Library; 4455 N. Lincoln Ave
Join members of Chicago DSA’s Health Care Working Group as we plan our fight for Medicare for All in Illinois’s fifth congressional district! Help us build the movement that will defeat the health care profiteers and win a future where health care is a universal human right. All are welcome, including those living outside the fifth district and non-DSA members.
- #Housing4All Day of Action; 11 AM – 3 PM; Multiple Locations
In 2019 we have a chance to shift the balance of power in Chicago by mobilizing thousands of working class people to fight for our values & elect socialists to city hall. As socialists, we stand for #Housing4All, #Sanctuary4All & #Education4All. We can win these foundations for a just society if we organize to #TaxtheRich.
Join Chicago DSA on January 5, 2019 for our #Housing4All Day of Action across 4 wards: Byron Sigcho-Lopez, 25th Ward
Rossana Rodriguez, 33rd Ward
Carlos Ramirez-Rosa, 35th Ward
Ugo Okere, 40th Ward
Sign up here: https://actionnetwork.org/forms/elect-socialists-jan5-housing4all
Learn more about our CDSA-endorsed candidates https://chicagodsa.org/endorsements
- CDSA Holiday Party!; 7 PM – 10 PM; Hairpin Arts Center; 2810 N. Milwaukee Ave
After canvassing at the #Housing4All Day of Action, join the Chicago Democratic Socialists of America for our Holiday Party!
We’ll celebrate a great 2018 while looking forward to 2019. This is a great event for current members & the DSA-curious to learn more about our work. There will be music, snacks & a variety of drinks available, too. Hairpin Arts Center is an accessible location near the Milwaukee/Diversey/Kimball intersection, and you can reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org & email@example.com with any questions about the venue.
We ask for a $5-10 donation at the door & will also have alcoholic and non-alcoholic drinks for sale.
- The IRC Fuck ICE Benefit Concert; 6 PM – 11 PM; The Beat Kitchen; 2100 W. Belmont Ave
Start your 2019 strong by telling ICE to go to hell and attending a benefit concert for the CDSA Immigrants Rights Committee and their efforts to combat ICE and stop deportations in and around Chicago.
We’ve got 5 great local bands on the docket for this show:
-Bernie and the Wolf
-The Braided Janes
Doors are at 6 PM, 7-11 PM show. Tickets are $10 at the door or at bit.ly/fuckiceshow
If you can’t attend the show but still want to donate, please do so at the following link: https://www.gofundme.com/cdsa-abolish-ice
- The Strike and Solidarity Committee has set up an SMS system to keep people posted about strike and solidarity actions. People that want to get updates should text SOLIDARITY to 55222
- Renew your dues! It’s been two years since the 2016 election which spurred a lot of us into joining. That means that for some of us, it’s time to renew. If that’s you, you can do so here: https://act.dsausa.org/donate/membership/ (Consider switching to monthly too!) Look out for some exciting news about dues renewal pins coming soon.
- Grievance Policy. If you ever feel you are being harassed by another member of DSA, or made to feel uncomfortable by a member, or have a conflict with another member, please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org to get in touch with our chapter’s Harassment and Grievance Officers.
- If you aren’t on the CDSA Slack Channel yet, but would like to be, shoot me an email at email@example.com and I’ve get you set up with it.