Good Morning Chicago DSA,
Wow, ya’ll really killed it yesterday. Thanks to everyone who came out to the #Housing4All Day of Action is support of our endorsed candidates. We had excellent turnouts for all of the campaigns and knocked on a ton of doors. To check out some of the action from the day and the day after holiday party you can look up the #Housing4All tag on Twitter and be sure to follow us @ChicagoCityDSA.
We have another busy week coming up, starting today! The Fuck ICE Benefit concert starts at 6 PM and you don’t want to miss it. There are a bunch of great local bands playing and all the money raised goes towards fighting ICE AKA the assholes who lock kids in cages AKA fascists. Later on in the week, we’ve got a bunch of good working group meetings which are the best way to get involved with the nitty gritty CDSA organizing. And next weekend is packed with both a big retreat for planning our Lift the Ban campaign this year and then on Sunday there’s a pro-choice counter protest that you should really show up to because the pro-lifers are going to be busing folks in and we’ll need all the numbers we can get. These people might not be the total fascists that ICE agents are but they aren’t too far off.
We’ve already kicked off the new year in a big way. Let’s keep that momentum going. I’ll see you out there, comrades 🙂
- Canvass with Ugo; 10:30 AM – 1:30 PM; Groundswell Coffee; 5008 N. Lincoln Ave
This is the campaign’s weekly canvass. Come and talk to 40th ward residents about DSA-endorsed candidate Ugo Okere what it looks like to bring co-governance, equity, and interconnected struggle to the 40th ward!
- The IRC Fuck ICE Benefit Concert; 6 PM – 11 PM; The Beat Kitchen; 2100 W. Belmont Ave
Start your 2019 strong by telling ICE to go to hell and attending a benefit concert for the CDSA Immigrants Rights Committee and their efforts to combat ICE and stop deportations in and around Chicago.
We’ve got 5 great local bands on the docket for this show:
-Bernie and the Wolf
-The Braided Janes
Doors are at 6 PM, 7-11 PM show. Tickets are $10 at the door or at bit.ly/fuckiceshow
If you can’t attend the show but still want to donate, please do so at the following link: https://www.gofundme.com/cdsa-abolish-ice
- Immigration Rights Committee Meeting; 6:30 PM – 9 PM; CDSA Office; 3411 W. Diversey Ave.
De-brief from the previous day’s IRC Fuck ICE Benefit Concert and prep for 2 weeks of Gary Airport anti-deportation protests!
- Labor Working Group Meeting; 7 PM – 9 PM; UE Hall; 37 S. Ashland Ave.
We are an intersectional group of labor militants who are actively rebuilding the labor movement from the ground-up through organizing the unorganized and strengthening the power of the organized rank-and-file worker. We demand a proactive labor movement, both nationally and locally, that can combat worker exploitation and respond to the new economy of fissured workplaces. We believe that in order to overthrow capitalism we need to build a militant movement of labor activists.
- Socialist Feminist Working Group Meeting; 7 PM – 8:30 PM; CDSA Office; 3411 W. Diversey Ave.
All are welcome at the monthly meeting of the Socialist Feminist Working Group! We will be finalizing plans for the March for Life counter-protest at this meeting so be sure to attend if you would like to help!
- Environmental Justice Working Group Meeting; 7 PM – 8:30 PM; CDSA Office; 3411 W. Diversey Ave.
The CDSA Environmental Justice Working Group will be having our monthly meeting to work on building an energy democracy campaign and on various other topics.
- Lift the Ban Retreat; 12 PM – 4 PM; UE Hall; 37 S. Ashland Ave.
Join Chicago DSA for an afternoon retreat to learn more about the campaign to win rent control in Illinois!
CDSA is one of more than 30 groups in the Lift the Ban Coalition, which advocates for lifting the statewide ban on rent control. We know that rent control is a necessary first step in taking back power from wealthy developers, curbing gentrification and displacement, and tackling Illinois’ housing crisis.
This meeting will focus on:
-Canvassing & talking to our neighbors about rent control
-Standing up to the real estate lobby & strengthening our arguments against the opposition
-Gaining legislative support for the rent control bill
-Working with DSA chapters all across Illinois & building a statewide movement
All are welcome to attend, whether you’re brand-new to DSA or have canvassed for rent control before. This event is a great opportunity to dig deeper on the issue of rent control, learn from what we’ve accomplished so far, meet and share ideas with fellow DSA members, and strengthen your organizing skills. Snacks & drinks will be provided. See you there!
- Executive Committee Meeting; 4:30 PM – 6:30 PM; CDSA Office; 3411 W. Diversey Ave.
If there is a proposal you would like to bring to the EC, please email both Chapter Co-Chairs (email@example.com & firstname.lastname@example.org) before the end of the day 1/6/19.
As a reminder, all CDSA members are welcome to attend, but only EC members can vote.
- Pro-Choice Counter Protest of March For Life Chicago; 1 PM – 4 PM; Dirksen Federal Building; 219 S. Dearborn St.
Each January, right-wing, anti-choice bigots from around the Midwest are bussed in to Chicago for the so-called “March for Life.” We know that abortion and all other forms of healthcare are rights that should be accessible to all.
Join us on Sunday, January 13 at 1:00pm to show them that Chicago is pro-choice. We’ll rally across the street from Federal Plaza in front of the Dirksen Federal Building. To get involved with planning or for more details, contact email@example.com. This event has been endorsed by Chicago DSA and will be co-sponsored by other organizations dedicated to reproductive justice and leftist politics.
- Stop the War in Yemen – Info Call; 7 PM – 9 PM
Our government is supporting the destruction of Yemen pushing 14 million to the verge of starvation. What can we do about it? Join Chicago DSA on Sunday 1/13 at 7PM CST for a info-call with Hassan El-Tayyab, organizer for Peace Action and co-director of Just Foreign Policy, to discuss the situation in Yemen and how people are successfully working to stop US support for the Yemen War. DSA members and allies in the fight for peace and justice are encouraged to bring questions and ideas for how to move forward on this urgent issue.
Please register @ https://goo.gl/forms/22EqmCt7cHQMmFnb2 before end of day 1/12/19 to receive Zoom call info via email on 1/13.
- Please remember to register to vote in the chapter’s upcoming electoral endorsement vote. To receive a ballot, register to vote using this form before the end of Wednesday 1/16/19. On Thursday 1/17/19 an email will be sent to the email address registered on this form with a link to a ballot for members to cast their vote. The vote will close Monday 1/21/19. If there are any questions, please email the secretary at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The Strike and Solidarity Committee has set up an SMS system to keep people posted about strike and solidarity actions. People that want to get updates should text SOLIDARITY to 55222
- Renew your dues! It’s been two years since the 2016 election which spurred a lot of us into joining. That means that for a lot of us, it’s time to renew. If that’s you, you can do so here: https://act.dsausa.org/donate/membership/ (Consider switching to monthly too!). Look out for some exciting news about dues renewal pins coming soon.
- If you aren’t on the CDSA Slack Channel yet, but would like to be, shoot me an email at email@example.com and I’ll get you set up with it.
- Grievance Policy. If you ever feel you are being harassed by another member of DSA, or made to feel uncomfortable by a member, or have a conflict with another member, please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org to get in touch with our chapter’s Harassment and Grievance Officers.