Good Morning Chicago DSA,
Ah, finally, a snowy morning to wake up to – just in time for our big Counter Protest today! Make sure when you’re getting ready to head downtown this afternoon that you dress appropriately. Boots, coats, gloves, hats, long undies, a scarf, bring it all. We’re going to be outside for a long time and the cold has a way of seeping in if you aren’t dressed properly. Make sure to bring water too! Dehydration – it’s real and it’s bad. If you aren’t sure what counter protest I’m talking about, well, just check out the event info below. Or listen to the most recent Midwest Socialist podcast on it. Or read this excellent Twitter thread on it.
Another big thing happening like right now, is that CDSA now has a new official logo! It’s courtesy of CDSA’s own Michelle Favia. It’ll be going live on our social media pages as soon as I wake up in the morning but here it is now:
Wow. Amazing. Everybody go and tell Michelle thanks and good job cause that’s some A+ graphic design.
Anyway, we’ve got a lot going on this week in CDSA that isn’t the counter protest, so make sure to see what’s all on our calendar this week below. You can also see what’s happening for the whole month on our website calendar. As you can see, there’s a lot there, so if anybody is interested in helping out with keeping it updated – shoot me an email! I could definitely use the help.
I’ll see you out there, comrades 🙂
- Ugo for 40th: January Day of Action; 10:30 AM – 1:30 PM; Schreiber Park; 1552 W. Schreiber Ave.
We’re less than 2 months away from Election Day and the chance to finally bring people power to the 40th Ward. Join us this Sunday to knock some doors and make it happen!
- Pro-Choice Counter Protest of March For Life Chicago; 1 PM – 4 PM; Dirksen Federal Building; 219 S. Dearborn St.
Each January, right-wing, anti-choice bigots from around the Midwest are bussed in to Chicago for the so-called “March for Life.” We know that abortion and all other forms of healthcare are rights that should be accessible to all.
Join us on Sunday, January 13 at 1:00pm to show them that Chicago is pro-choice. We’ll rally across the street from Federal Plaza in front of the Dirksen Federal Building. To get involved with planning or for more details, contact email@example.com. This event has been endorsed by Chicago DSA and will be co-sponsored by other organizations dedicated to reproductive justice and leftist politics.
- Stop the War in Yemen – Info Call; 7 PM – 9 PM
Our government is supporting the destruction of Yemen pushing 14 million to the verge of starvation. What can we do about it? Join Chicago DSA on Sunday 1/13 at 7PM CST for a info-call with Hassan El-Tayyab, organizer for Peace Action and co-director of Just Foreign Policy, to discuss the situation in Yemen and how people are successfully working to stop US support for the Yemen War. DSA members and allies in the fight for peace and justice are encouraged to bring questions and ideas for how to move forward on this urgent issue.
Please register @ https://goo.gl/forms/22EqmCt7cHQMmFnb2 before end of day 1/12/19 to receive Zoom call info via email on 1/13.
- Healthcare WG – Reading Group; 6:30 PM – 8 PM; Harold Washington Library; 400 S. State St.; 5th Floor – North
CDSA Healthcare Working Group’s Reading Group – This month the focus will be on ambulances in Chicago. You can find the list of articles here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1vyo_Po8yIJakCMz25F1ZCLu8ibHNMuz-rVoPhKmZ4Ag/edit#gid=921847673
We’ll be in meeting room 5 – North
- Queer Socialist Working Group Meeting; 7 PM – 8:30 PM; CDSA Office; 3411 W. Diversey Ave
Please join us for our monthly meeting! We will be discussing several short-term goals. Food will also (most likely) be provided. All are welcome!
- Ugo for 40th: Data Entry Wednesday; 6 PM – 8 PM; 5749 N. Sacramento Ave.
Swing by our office this Wednesday to help input data from the thousands of doors we’ve knocked! Check out Ugo’s FB page for more info!
- Candidate Endorsement Discussion; 7 PM – 9 PM; UE Hall; 37 S. Ashland Ave
Chicago DSA has three more candidates for the 2019 municipal elections it will be considering for endorsement via a member wide vote. They are Pete DeMay running for 12th Ward Alderman, Jeanette Taylor running for 20th Ward Alderman, and Amara Enyia running for Mayor of Chicago
Please attend this discussion of those three candidates before the vote opens to voice your opinions as a member and, maybe more importantly, hear the opinions of your fellow comrades. Note: This is a non-binding discussion of the vote not an official meeting.
- Reimagine Chicago Mayoral Forum; 6 PM – 8:15 PM; New Mount Pilgrim Church; 4301 W. Washington Blvd.
CDSA has endorsed the Reimagine Chicago Mayoral Forum.
“Decades of failed policies have devastated Chicago’s neighborhoods, creating a city that is becoming increasingly unlivable for anybody who isn’t rich and well connected. Right now we have an opportunity to turn that around and reimagine what the future of our city looks like.
As Chicago voters prepare to go to the polls to choose our next Mayor and City Council, we have an opportunity to demand that candidates stand with us on the issues we care about. Together, we can reimagine a Chicago that invests in our neighborhoods, schools, and services.”
*NOTE: If you’re planning on going, register here.
- Solidarity Economy Working Group Meeting; 7 PM – 9 PM; Harold Washington Library; 400 S. State St.; 6th Floor South
At this month’s meeting, we will:
–Continue discussing last month’s reading of “Solidarity Economy: Building an Economy for People & Planet” by Emily Kawano for The Next System Project available at the following link https://thenextsystem.org/learn/stories/solidarity-economy-building-economy-people-planet –recap recent developments in Chicago’s solidarity economy landscape (such as the Urban Innovation Symposium on Jan. 25th)
–discuss ways to introduce solidarity economy positions during the upcoming electoral cycle
–brainstorm popular education projects to grow public awareness and understanding of a solidarity economy
- Health Care Working Group Meeting; 7 PM – 9 PM; Oak Park Public Library; 834 Lake St.; Oak Park
Come check out Chicago DSA’s efforts to fight for health justice and make Medicare For All a reality! We will be discussing our ongoing work to canvass, support community health, build coalitions, and more! All are welcome, including non-DSA folks.
We’re meeting on at the Oak Park Public Library – Community Engagement Space on 1st floor
- Housing Working Group Meeting; 7 PM – 9 PM; National Public Housing Museum; 625 N. Kingsbury
What do you aspire to do in 2019? At CDSA’s Housing working group, our new year’s resolution is to organize tenants and build more power for housing justice!
Come talk about ways to get involved in the movement for tenant power and housing justice here in Chicago!
- #StopGaryDeportations Protest; 10 AM – 1 PM; Gary Airport; 6001 Industrial Highway
Chicago DSA’s Immigration Rights Committee and Anti-Racism Working Group are working with Northwest Indiana Resistance in organizing a protest to resist ICE, protest the deportations of wrongfully detained immigrants and refugees, and to shine a light on the system causes of the inhuman mistreatment of immigrants from Chicagoland and Gary.
“We must do anything and everything to oppose current immigration abusive practices, especially child abuse in family separations. On January 18th we are planning a protest to fight against family separation and stop deportations at the Gary-Chicago International Airport.”
- Tech Sub-Committee Working Session; 12 PM; CDSA Office; 3411 W. Diversey Ave
Monthly meeting of the Tech Sub-Committee. First hour is a general meeting to go over project statuses as well as review the proposed bylaws for the committee. Afterwards, we’re running a drop in/drop out working session for CDSA technical projects. Feel free to come by and work on something, learn about what tech is working on, or just hang out with comrades working in tech! —> Update: this event has been cancelled due to weather. We will reschedule soon! <—
- Ugo for 40th: Phonebanking for Ugo!; 12 PM – 2 PM; 5749 N. Sacramento Ave
You know the drill: stop by our office to phonebank 40th Ward voters. It’s one of our warmer campaign activities, so swing by! Check out Ugo’s FB page for more event info.
- South Side Branch Meeting; 2 PM – 4 PM; Rudy Lozano Public Library; 1803 S. Loomis St.
Monthly branch meeting, with discussion of electoral and issue-based campaigns, working group activities, and theory.
- Please remember to register to vote in the chapter’s upcoming electoral endorsement vote. To receive a ballot, register to vote using this form before the end of Wednesday 1/16/19. On Thursday 1/17/19 an email will be sent to the email address registered on this form with a link to a ballot for members to cast their vote. The vote will close Monday 1/21/19. If there are any questions, please email the secretary at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The Strike and Solidarity Committee has set up an SMS system to keep people posted about strike and solidarity actions. People that want to get updates should text SOLIDARITY to 55222
- Renew your dues! It’s been two years since the 2016 election which spurred a lot of us into joining. That means that for a lot of us, it’s time to renew. If that’s you, you can do so here: https://act.dsausa.org/donate/membership/ (Consider switching to monthly too!). Look out for some exciting news about dues renewal pins coming soon.
- If you aren’t on the CDSA Slack Channel yet, but would like to be, shoot me an email at email@example.com and I’ll get you set up with it.
- Grievance Policy. If you ever feel you are being harassed by another member of DSA, or made to feel uncomfortable by a member, or have a conflict with another member, please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org to get in touch with our chapter’s Harassment and Grievance Officers.