Good Morning Chicago DSA,
I would like to dedicate this opening paragraph to all the socialist heroes who ventured out into the cold these last couple of days. Look at these brave people who went to Gary on Friday in sub-zero temps to protest the deportations happening through the Gary airport and to tell ICE to fuck off. Each and every one of you who went out there is incredible. And I can’t forget all the people who went out canvassing yesterday. Whether it was for one of our endorsed candidates or for Lift the Ban, y’all kick ass and you’re gonna bring us some W’s next month.
We’ve got a pretty solid week ahead of us while we’re gearing up for another big day of action next Saturday. The last Day of Action that we held was #Housing4All themed and this one will be #Sanctuary4All. We also have a new candidate to add to the mix this time! Congrats to Jeanette Taylor, running the 20th Ward. All the information for the Day of Action and the rest of this week’s events can be found below.
I’ll see you out there, comrades 🙂
- Ugo for 40th: Canvass with Ugo; 10:30 AM – 1:30 PM; Ugo for 40th Campaign Office; 5333 N. Lincoln Ave.
Come by for our weekly Sunday canvass! The 40th is ready for expanded affordable housing, participatory budgeting, and more money for our neighborhood public schools – but only if we fight for! Note that we are meeting at the NEW office on Lincoln Ave. Please RSVP on Facebook
- 49th Ward Lift the Ban Oppo Canvass; 12 PM – 4 PM; United Church of Rogers Park; 1545 W. Morse Ave
Welcome to the 49th Ward’s Lift the Ban campaign! Current Alderman Joe Moore is the corrupt, developer-friendly head of the city’s Housing and Real Estate Committee, and we are hitting the streets in an aggressively socialist, housing-focused opposition campaign to finally take him out of office. Join us Saturdays and Sundays leading up to the Aldermanic elections to unseat this neoliberal fixture of Chicago machine politics. See Facebook event for details.
- Immigration Rights Committee Meeting; 7 PM – 8:30 PM; CDSA Office; 3411 W. Diversey Ave.
The Immigration Rights Committee will de-brief on the Gary Airport anti-deportation protest and discuss future actions to subvert ICE efforts affecting Chicago immigrants.
- Communications Committee Meeting; 7 PM – 8:30 PM; 180 N. Lasalle St.; 37th Floor
Join the CDSA Communications Committee for our January meeting! We’ll be discussing social media, agitprop, video, podcast, and our print publications. We’ve got a lot of projects to work on, and if you’ve never been to a CDSA meeting before, the smaller working group meetings are a great way to get involved.
We’re going back to our more central location this month. It’s in an office building downtown. When you arrive just let security know that you’re there for the meeting on the 37th floor. Please RSVP so we have a good idea of how many people are coming. See you there! Our meetings are open to members and non-members, and we hope you’ll join us!
- New Member Orientation; 6:30 PM – 8 PM; UE Hall; 37 S. Ashland Ave.
NOTE: THIS EVENT HAS BEEN CANCELLED DUE TO WEATHER DSA just recently passed 55,000 members nationwide. Interested in getting involved in Chicago? Come to our New Member Orientation!
Space is limited, so please RSVP.
- Internal Elections Committee Meeting; 7 PM – 8:30 PM; CDSA Office; 3411 W. Diversey Ave.
Elections matter! Especially ones internal to our organization.
If you would like to get involved and are wondering how to contribute to the chapter, one possibility is through the planning and implementing of our chapter’s elections for things like Executive Officers, Branch Steering Committees, and National Convention Delegations in 2019. We’d love to get members involved! If you have any questions feel free to contact email@example.com
- Midwest Socialist Live – Aldermanic Candidate Forum; 7 PM – 10 PM; UE Hall; 37 S. Ashland Ave
We are interviewing CDSA’s endorsed candidates Byron Sigcho-Lopez, Rossana Rodriguez-Sanchez, Carlos Ramirez-Rosa and Ugo Okere for a live episode of the Midwest Socialist Podcast.
Join us the next day for our #Sanctuary4All Day of Action with all five candidates. More info: https://actionnetwork.org/forms/elect-socialists-feb2-sanctuary4all
- #Sanctuary4All Day of Action; 11 AM – 3 PM; Multiple Locations
In 2019 we have a chance to shift the balance of power in Chicago by mobilizing thousands of working class people to fight for our values & elect socialists to city hall. As socialists, we stand for #Housing4All, #Sanctuary4All & #Education4All We can win these foundations for a just society if we organize to #TaxTheRich.
Join Chicago DSA on February 2, 2019 for our #Sanctuary4All Day of Action across 5 wards:
Jeanette Taylor, 20th Ward (this canvass begins at 9:30AM)
Byron Sigcho-Lopez, 25th Ward
Rossana Rodriguez, 33rd Ward
Carlos Ramirez-Rosa, 35th Ward (this canvass begins at 10:30AM)
Ugo Okere, 40th Ward
Sign up here: https://actionnetwork.org/forms/elect-socialists-feb2-sanctuary4all
Learn more about our CDSA-endorsed candidates https://chicagodsa.org/endorsements/
- Chicago Worker’s Town Hall; 6:30 PM – 9 PM; Que4 Radio; 2643 W. Chicago Ave
Join the Chicago Democratic Socialists of America to hear the struggles and triumphs of workers in Chicago and to learn how we can stand in solidarity and build a stronger labor movement in 2019. Featuring the worker’s in healthcare, education, logistics, and more.
- The Strike and Solidarity Committee has set up an SMS system to keep people posted about strike and solidarity actions. People that want to get updates should text SOLIDARITY to 55222
- Renew your dues! It’s been two years since the 2016 election which spurred a lot of us into joining. That means that for a lot of us, it’s time to renew. If that’s you, you can do so here: https://act.dsausa.org/donate/membership/ (Consider switching to monthly too!). Look out for some exciting news about dues renewal pins coming soon.
- If you aren’t on the CDSA Slack Channel yet, but would like to be, shoot me an email at firstname.lastname@example.org and I’ll get you set up with it.
- Grievance Policy. If you ever feel you are being harassed by another member of DSA, or made to feel uncomfortable by a member, or have a conflict with another member, please reach out to email@example.com to get in touch with our chapter’s Harassment and Grievance Officers.