Good Morning Chicago DSA,
Once, again, you all kicked ass and showed up yesterday at our #Sanctuary4All canvass in support of our 5 endorsed candidates. So many beautiful socialists out in the streets, knocking doors and getting people excited about building a Chicago For All. We’re less than a month away from the upcoming municipal elections and our momentum is building. Be sure to sign up for our next Day of Action – #Education4All – that’s on the 16th. If you aren’t able to make it out, or even if you are, be sure to sign up for additional canvasses with the campaigns. You can also donate or sign up to volunteer doing something other than canvass.
We had another big announcement this week: for the third year in a row, our Socialist Feminist Working Group has started fundraising for the Chicago Abortion Fund through the annual Abortion Bowl-A-Thon! Last year, the team – the Bowletariat – raised over ten thousand dollars for abortion access. To find out more about the team and why they’re raising money and to then be in such awe that you want to donate money and also maybe join the team, check out the team’s donation profile!
We’ve got a pretty good schedule this week. The New Member Orientation that was cancelled due to the weather last week has been rescheduled for this Wednesday. There’s also a Socialist Night School Planning Retreat next Sunday, so if you want to get involved with socialist education, be sure to check the details on that! I’ll see you out there, comrades 🙂
- Ugo for 40th Ward: Canvass with Ugo; 10:30 AM – 1 PM; 1552 W. Schreiber Ave.
Join Ugo to knock some doors and spread the word! We’re less than 30 days until the election and every volunteer counts.
- Anti-Racism Working Group Meeting; 7 PM – 9 PM; UE Hall; 37 S. Ashland Ave.
Make sure racists and imperialists get no Valentines this year! Come catch up on the work AR and IRC have been doing on #StopGaryDeportations, #CPACNow, and more!
- #LiftTheBan Lobbying In Springfield; All Day; Springfield, IL
All are welcome to join CDSA as we lobby our elected officials in Springfield to gain support for the bill that would #LiftTheBan on rent control in Illinois! More details on transportation options coming soon, but there is an Amtrak train that leaves Chicago’s Union Station for Springfield at 7 AM and returns in the evening.
- New Member Orientation; 6:30 PM – 8:00 PM; UE Hall; 37 S. Ashland Ave
DSA just recently passed 55,000 members nationwide. Interested in getting more involved in Chicago? Come to our New Member Orientation! Space is limited, so please RSVP using the link in the event details, or by following this link: https://goo.gl/forms/L8AQaEq7d3My2Nva2
- Environmental Justice Working Group Meeting; 7 PM – 8:30 PM; CDSA Office; 3411 W. Diversey Ave
The CDSA Environmental Justice Working Group will be having our monthly meeting. We’ll be working on the ComEd campaign and several other topics.
- Medicare for All IL-5 Campaign Meeting; 7 PM – 8:30 PM; Conrad Sulzer Library; 4455 N. Lincoln Ave
Join members of Chicago DSA’s Health Care Working Group as we plan our fight for Medicare for All in Illinois’s fifth congressional district! Help us build the movement that will defeat the health care profiteers and win a future where health care is a universal human right. All are welcome, including those living outside the fifth district and non-DSA members.
- Executive Committee Meeting; 2:30 PM – 4:30 PM; UE Hall; 37 S. Ashland Ave
All CDSA members are welcome to attend February’s Executive Committee meeting!
This month we will be planning our next general membership meeting, recapping our campaign work, and receiving updates from the chapter’s committees and officers. As always, we’ll be covering a great deal about the chapter. If there is a proposal you would like to bring to the EC, please email both Chapter Co-Chairs (firstname.lastname@example.org & email@example.com) before the end of the day Sunday 2/3/19. As a reminder, all CDSA members are welcome to attend, but only EC members can vote.
- Socialist Night School Planning Retreat; 1 PM – 5 PM; UE Hall; 37 S. Ashland Ave
Join the Political Education & Policy Committee in planning the next two semesters of night schools–what is our vision for political education for the chapter, how can we be creative in both teaching and learning, how will we integrate the work with chapter campaigns, how will we measure progress, how will we make sure we are capturing all this knowledge.
- There are some extra “Housing For All” beanies left over from the #Sanctuary4All Canvass. They’re $10 each and come in black and grey with either a white or black “Housing for All” Patch on it. If you’re interested in getting one, you can reach out to Sarah Hurd.
- The Strike and Solidarity Committee has set up an SMS system to keep people posted about strike and solidarity actions. People that want to get updates should text SOLIDARITY to 55222
- Renew your dues! It’s been two years since the 2016 election which spurred a lot of us into joining. That means that for a lot of us, it’s time to renew. If that’s you, you can do so here: https://act.dsausa.org/donate/membership/ (Consider switching to monthly too!). Look out for some exciting news about dues renewal pins coming soon.
- If you aren’t on the CDSA Slack Channel yet, but would like to be, shoot me an email at firstname.lastname@example.org and I’ll get you set up with it.
- Grievance Policy. If you ever feel you are being harassed by another member of DSA, or made to feel uncomfortable by a member, or have a conflict with another member, please reach out to email@example.com to get in touch with our chapter’s Harassment and Grievance Officers.