Good Morning Chicago DSA,
Ten days until the municipal elections on February 26! We’re in the final stretch. It seems like not that much time but knowing Chicago politics, I’m sure there’s plenty of craziness left. However, as long as we stay focused and work to get out the vote, I think things are looking pretty good for making city council a little more socialist.
Of course, once again, ya’ll were great and turned out for our final #Education4All Day of Action, despite the cold. That’s fortitude if I’ve ever seen it. If you were out canvassing, be sure to post any pics you took on social media and use the #Education4All hashtag. If you tag CDSA we’ll share it, just like this pic! Doesn’t have to be a group pic. Selfies are awesome too!
We’ve got one final push for our candidates and that’s on election day itself, February 26. Election Day is the single most important day of this campaign. We need everyone to help. Take a few hours, or the whole day if you can (I’m going to be taking the day off from work). At the polls, at the doors, and on the phone, help us win a #Chicago4All! Sign up for a shift here.
In addition to electoral work, we’ve got some great working group meetings on the calendar this week too, as well as some strike support. I’ll see you out there, comrades 🙂
- CICS Strike Day of Action; 6:30 AM – 10 AM; 1443 N. Ogden Ave OR 1817 W 80th St
The CICS Strike is still ongoing and the Strike and Solidarity Committee wants as many DSA members as possible to come out to either Quest Charter School or Ralph Ellison Charter School Tuesday morning to support striking educators and help them WIN the contract they need.
NOTE: There are two locations – 1443 N. Ogden Ave OR 1817 W 80th St
2/18 UPDATE: The Tentative Agreement is a tremendous victory for the teachers, staff, students & family of CICS! Our CDSA Day of Action happening tomorrow morning is cancelled, and we encourage everyone to attend the action at CICS Headquarters (11 E. Adams) at 4PM tomorrow (2/19) instead!
- Queer Socialist Working Group Meeting; 7 PM – 8:30 PM; CDSA Office; 3411 W. Diversey Ave.
Please join us for our monthly meeting! We will be discussing various projects that we are working on. There will also be snacks (TBD on what kind). All are welcome!
- Socialist Feminist Working Group Meeting; 7 PM – 8:30 PM; CDSA Office; 3411 W. Diversey Ave
All are welcome at the monthly meeting of the Socialist Feminist Working Group! We will be discussing upcoming events for this year, including plans for the National Network of Abortion Funds Bowl-a-thon.
- Solidarity Economy Working Group Meeting; 7 PM – 9 PM; Harold Washington Library; 400 S. State St; 6th Floor South Meeting Room
At this month’s meeting, we will:
–Revisit the mission, vision, and core values of the Working Group
–Review the recently released solidarity economy survey to determine what the public would like to see from the Working Group https://goo.gl/forms/l4hp9UohJPjkwK2C3
–recap recent developments in Chicago’s solidarity economy landscape
–discuss potential campaigns and initiatives to be developed by the Working Group
–brainstorm popular education projects to grow the public understanding of a solidarity economy
- Public Education Working Group Meeting; 6:30 PM; 333 S. Ashland Ave
Come to the February meeting of CDSA’s Public Education Working Group meeting. An agenda for the meeting can be found on the event page. The Public Education Working Group meets on a monthly basis. All are welcome.
- Health Care Working Group Meeting; 7 PM – 8:30 PM; CDSA Office; 3411 W. Diversey Ave.
Come check out Chicago DSA’s efforts to fight for health justice and make Medicare For All a reality! We will be discussing our ongoing work to canvass, support community health, build coalitions, and more! All are welcome, including non-DSA folks.
- Tech SubCommittee Working Session; 12 PM – 8 PM; CDSA Office; 3411 W. Diversey Ave
Our monthly working session of the CDSA tech subcommittee. Come on out to work on CDSA related tech projects, or just meeting your fellow comrades who are also involved in tech work/hobbies
- Chicago will be hosting a regional DSA conference on April 12-14. The final day to sign up for the lottery to attend is end of day on Friday 2/22. Please pre-register ASAP. The selected members will then receive information on how to register for the conference.
We will also need people to host out of town DSA members (we’re expecting 150 people so we need A LOT of people to step up. Please complete this form if you’ve got an extra bed, couch, or air mattress and can host a comrade on April 12-14.
- Our Socialist Feminist Working Group has started fundraising for the Chicago Abortion Fund through the annual Abortion Bowl-A-Thon! Last year, the team – the Bowletariat – raised over ten thousand dollars for abortion access. To find out more about the team and why they’re raising money and to then be in such awe that you want to donate money and also maybe join the team, check out the team’s donation profile!
- Our first General Chapter Meeting of 2019 is almost here! We will be gathering on Saturday March 2 at the Chicago Teachers’ Union (1901 W. Carroll). Check-in is at 12:30, then the meeting will be 1:00-4:00. Mark you calendars please!
- The Strike and Solidarity Committee has set up an SMS system to keep people posted about strike and solidarity actions. People that want to get updates should text SOLIDARITY to 55222
- If you aren’t on the CDSA Slack Channel yet, but would like to be, shoot me an email at email@example.com and I’ll get you set up with it.
- Grievance Policy. If you ever feel you are being harassed by another member of DSA, or made to feel uncomfortable by a member, or have a conflict with another member, please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org to get in touch with our chapter’s Harassment and Grievance Officers.