Good Morning Chicago DSA,
Folks. Wow. What a week! Here’s a list of everything that happened:
- Endorsed DSA candidate Carlos Rosa won his election in the 35th Ward outright
- Endorsed DSA candidates Jeanette Taylor, Rossana Rodriguez, and Byron Sigcho-Lopez all received the most votes in their respective races and advanced to a runoff on April 2.
- Endorsed candidate Ugo Okere did not advance to the runoff in his race but earned over 1800 votes while running an un-apologetically socialist campaign
- DSA member Daniel La Spata won his election in the 1st Ward outright
- CDSA endorsed DSA member Andre Vasquez, who advanced to the runoff in the 40th Ward
- CDSA endorsed both a Medicare for All and a Municipalize ComEd campaign as priority campaigns
- CDSA voted to set up a Bernie 2020 committee and recommended that national DSA endorse Bernie Sanders for president
That’s about it, except, oh yeah, that one other thing where Sara Nelson, President of the Association of Flight Attendants-CWA and the woman who basically ended the government shut down, is going to be the keynote speaker at the upcoming CDSA Debs Dinner. You can buy tickets here: https://chicagodsa.org/debs19/ They’re gonna go fast so I recommend you getting them soon!
We’ve got a pretty good list of events on the schedule this week. All the info is below. I’ll see you out there, comrades 🙂
- Sigcho for 25: Runoff Rally Launch; 11:30 AM – 4 PM; 1622 S. Blue Island Ave
Here we go! This Sunday we’ll be kicking off the runoff campaign with a rally canvass for #SigchoFor25. This is a great opportunity to jump onboard the campaign if you’re new to volunteering. Please bring your friends, family, colleagues and community. Hear directly from Byron on how we’re going to win a 25th ward and Chicago that works for ALL of us, and learn about what you can do to get involved!
All ages are welcome + coffee and refreshments will be served!
- 2nd Annual Anti-Racism Working Group Chili Cook Off; 2 PM – 6 PM; The Hideout; 1354 W. Wabansia Ave.
The 2nd Annual Anti-Racism Working Group Chili Cook Off is here and we welcome all comrades and friends to gather together and have a bowl of chili or eight. We have recruited CDSA’s most lauded chilismiths to battle for prizes, bragging rights, and a modest trophy. Come by and learn about our efforts for police reform, immigrant defense, and more. $10 donation requested at the door.
- Immigrants Rights Committee Meeting; 7 PM – 8:30 PM; CDSA Office; 3411 W. Diversey Ave.
Help us continue our work to abolish ICE and work to promote immigrants rights actions.
- Labor 101; 6 PM – 8 PM; United Church of Rogers Park; 1545 W. Morse Ave
Want to learn more about just what unions do? Explore the importance of the working class in socialist thought? Discuss what’s going on in the labor movement today? Of course you do, and so Labor 101 is where you want to be! This 90 minute workshop provides a crash course in trade union fundamentals and labor activism. New DSA members are especially welcome, but all DSA members — whatever your level of union experience or expertise — are encouraged to attend this highly interactive workshop. And curious friends are welcome too!
- Environmental Justice Working Group Meeting; 7 PM – 8:30 PM; UE Hall; 37 S. Ashland Ave.
Please join for our monthly meeting of the Environmental Justice Working Group. We will be discussing next steps on the ComEd campaign, which will have been voted on at the chapter-wide meeting a few days earlier. However that vote goes, we will still be ready to organize for energy democracy in Chicago!
- Socialist Feminist Pizza Party/Fundraiser; 6:30 PM – 11:30 PM; Hopewell Brewing; 2760 N. Milwaukee Ave.
The Socialist Feminist Working Group is hosting a pizza party to celebrate International Women’s Day and raise money for our Chicago Abortion Fund Bowl-A-Thon team, the Bowletariat. Please join us at Hopewell Brewing Company for a night of delicious beer and pizza, and the opportunity to buy some cool socialist merch! If you can’t attend the event, you can still donate to our team online at https://bowl.nnaf.org/team/207602
- Medicare For All Teach-In; 7 PM – 8:30 PM; Women and Children First; 5233 N. Clark St.
Many of our elected representatives and 2020 presidential candidates say they support Medicare for All, or universal healthcare coverage. But some of their plans for getting us there are less universal than others.
Learn what Medicare for All means and how it would work in this discussion with the Chicago Democratic Socialists of America Healthcare Working Group. Speakers will also go over the Medicare and Medicaid expansion bills recently introduced in Congress, and explain which one lives up to the promise of healthcare for everyone.
- Executive Committee Meeting; Noon – 2 PM; Manning Branch Library; 6 S. Hoyne Ave. (Location and date may change, recommend to check event page day of for info)
If there is a proposal you would like to bring to the EC, please email both Chapter Co-Chairs (email@example.com & firstname.lastname@example.org) before the end of the day 3/3/19.
As a reminder, all CDSA members are welcome to attend, but only EC members can vote.
- Chicago will be hosting a regional DSA conference on April 12-14. Pre-registration for the conference has closed. Members who were selected in the lottery to attend will receive information on how to register by Monday, 2/25. Everybody else will be added to a wait list.
We will also need people to host out of town DSA members (we’re expecting 150 people so we need A LOT of people to step up. Please complete this form if you’ve got an extra bed, couch, or air mattress and can host a comrade on April 12-14.
- Our Socialist Feminist Working Group has started fundraising for the Chicago Abortion Fund through the annual Abortion Bowl-A-Thon! Last year, the team – the Bowletariat – raised over ten thousand dollars for abortion access. To find out more about the team and why they’re raising money and to then be in such awe that you want to donate money and also maybe join the team, check out the team’s donation profile!
- The Strike and Solidarity Committee has set up an SMS system to keep people posted about strike and solidarity actions. People that want to get updates should text SOLIDARITY to 55222
- If you aren’t on the CDSA Slack Channel yet, but would like to be, shoot me an email at email@example.com and I’ll get you set up with it.
- Grievance Policy. If you ever feel you are being harassed by another member of DSA, or made to feel uncomfortable by a member, or have a conflict with another member, please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org to get in touch with our chapter’s Harassment and Grievance Officers.