Good Morning Chicago DSA,
Folks, there’s been some real shit happening in Alabama this week. Fascist politicians are trying to take away our abortion rights. Fuck that. Everybody has benefited from an abortion. We need them and we need to fight for them. Abortion must be free, on-demand, and without apology.
It’s news like this that highlights just how vital our Socialist Feminist Working Group is. They just finished a fundraising drive that raised over $13000 for the Chicago Abortion Fund and are doing the important work needed to make sure people’s bodies remain free and safe. And it just so happens that they’re having a meeting this Tuesday. The information is below but if you’re interested in learning how they’re fighting back, you should clear your schedule for that day and get involved.
We have a lot of other really great events on the schedule this week too, including a bunch of great organizing meetings and a marshal training on Saturday. I’ll see you out there, comrades 🙂
- West Cook Branch Meeting; 1 PM – 3 PM; 1009 S. Clinton Ave.
Join the West Cook Branch at its monthly meeting!
- CDSA Lift the Ban Committee Meeting; 5 PM – 7 PM; 1622 S. Blue Island Ave.
Join the Chicago DSA Lift The Ban On Rent Control committee to formulate our plans and strategy to aid the state-wide coalition for rent control and further a socialist agenda for housing justice.
- IRC Heartland Committee Meeting; 7 PM – 8:30 PM; CDSA Office; 3411 W. Diversey Ave.
Come get involved in ending child migrant detention in the Chicagoland area!
- Community Councils Working Group Meeting; 6:30 PM – 9 PM; Harold Washington Library; 400 S. State St.
Community Councils Working Group is a catalytic space to facilitate discussion and development of self-governing neighborhood assemblies as a platform for collective democratic empowerment. Our approach involves coalition building within our own communities while using group meetings to share best practices and improve our local organizing strategies. We will be in the 5th Floor South meeting room.
- Communications Committee Meeting; 7 PM – 8:30 PM; CDSA Office; 3411 W. Diversey Ave.
Join the CDSA Communications Committee for our April meeting! We’ll be discussing social media, agitprop, video, podcast, and our print publications. We’ve got a lot of projects to work on, and if you’ve never been to a CDSA meeting before, the smaller working group meetings are a great way to get involved.
We’re meeting in the conference room down the hall from the office on the right. Our meetings are open to members and non-members, and we hope you’ll join us!
- Medicare for All IL-9 Campaign Meeting; 7 PM – 8:30 PM; Firehouse Grill; 750 Chicago Ave.
Join members of Chicago DSA’s Health Care Working Group as we plan our fight for Medicare for All in Illinois’s ninth congressional district! Help us build the movement that will defeat the health care profiteers and win a future where health care is a universal human right. All are welcome, including those living outside the ninth district and non-DSA members.
Please note that this event will be hosted in the Engine Room, which is a room adjacent to the main restaurant. Additionally, we encourage you to buy food & drinks there to show the Firehouse our support for use of their facilities!
- Rally to Shut Down Chase and Stop Line 3; 11 AM – 12:30 PM; 21 Clark St.
Join us for a rally calling on Chase Bank and CEO Jamie Dimon to divest from tar sands and other dirty fossil fuels, in solidarity with frontline leaders fighting the Line 3 pipeline.
While Chase shareholders from across the US are meeting at the bank’s annual general meeting, we’re here to tell them we won’t put up with business as usual. While more species are going extinct, wildfires ravage the west, cities are lost to sea level rise and more water is polluted from spilled pipelines, we call on Chase Bank and other institutions to stand on the right side of history.
***RSVP on Action Network here: https://actionnetwork.org/events/rally-to-shutdownchase-and-stopline3/
- Socialist Feminist Working Group Meeting; 7 PM – 8:30 PM; CDSA Office; 3411 W> Diversey Ave.
Time for another meeting with your friendly Socialist Feminist Working Group. Join us to learn more about the projects we’re working on and how you can get involved.
- Environmental Justice Working Group Meeting; 7 PM – 8:30 PM; UE Hall; 37 S. Ashland Ave.
Come help us build ecosocialism in Chicago! We’ll be discussing the ComEd campaign, possible collaboration with Extinction Rebellion, and developments with the Guilt-by-Association bill.
- Health Care Working Group Meeting; 7 PM – 8:30 PM; CDSA Office; 3411 W. Diversey Ave.
Come check out Chicago DSA’s efforts to fight for health justice and make Medicare For All a reality! We will be discussing our ongoing work to canvass, support community health, build coalitions, and more! All are welcome, including non-DSA folks.
- CDSA Marshal Training; 1 PM – 3 PM; UE Hall; 37 S. Ashland Ave.
Are you a CDSA member who’s interested in learning basic event security? Are you a member of a working group who wants to train marshals for your group? Would you like to learn valuable skills like de-escalation and direct action training? Then come to the CDSA Security Committee’s marshal training! Every working group and committee in DSA should have members who have these skills, and now is your chance to learn. Light refreshments will be provided, and all members are welcome!
- South Side Branch Meeting; 2 PM – 4 PM; Bessie Coleman Library; 731 E. 63rd St.
On Saturday, May 25 from 2:00-4:00 pm, please join us for our monthly branch meeting at the Bessie Coleman Library (731 E 63rd St, Chicago, IL 60637). More details to follow!
- Chicago DSA is going to be out canvassing for Medicare For All pretty much every weekend (as long as the weather is good. Sign up for and find information about times and locations for the canvasses here.
- The results from the delegate election are in! Congrats to all of the delegates and thanks to everybody who ran. Also, immense thanks to Joe A. and the rest of the election team who did all the work to organize and facilitate this election. Having good democratic processes is such an important part of having a functioning chapter and the work that goes into that is vital.
- The approved minutes from April’s EC meeting have been published on the website.
- The Strike and Solidarity Committee is looking for strike captains! If you’re interested in being a strike captain (no experience required!), fill out this survey about the times and areas where you could help. They have also set up an SMS system to keep people posted about strike and solidarity actions. People that want to get updates should text SOLIDARITY to 55222.
- If you aren’t on the CDSA Slack Channel yet, but would like to be, shoot me an email at firstname.lastname@example.org and I’ll get you set up with it.
- Grievance Policy. If you ever feel you are being harassed by another member of DSA, or made to feel uncomfortable by a member, or have a conflict with another member, please reach out to email@example.com to get in touch with our chapter’s Harassment and Grievance Officers.