Good Morning Chicago DSA,
For the first time in a long while I can truly say we’ve got a light events week this week. I remember there were a couple times when I first started putting this email together when there weren’t any events on the calendar. It was pretty sad, and my emails then were rough. We’re not quite that light this week, but relative to the last few months, it’s practically a feather.
So yeah, enjoy this breather. Maybe find some time to go outside and enjoy the warm weather before it gets overly warm. Come to one of the few meetings this week or go to the rally on Thursday, and then relax at the game night we’re having on Friday. Or do your own thing too. It’s alright to take it easy every now and then. I keep having to tell myself that.
I’ll see you out there, comrades 🙂
- Queer Socialist Working Group Meeting; 7 PM – 8:30 PM; CDSA Office; 3411 W. Diversey Ave.
Please join us for our monthly meeting! We’ll be discussing projects related to LGBTQ+ rights and liberation. All are welcome!
- AIPAC Is Not Welcome In Chicago; 5 PM – 8 PM; 151 E Wacker Dr.
Join the Chicago Coalition for Justice in Palestine (Al-Nahda Community Center, American Muslims for Palestine, Palestinian American Community Center, Palestinian American Council, Students for Justice in Palestine [SJP]-Chicago, and U.S. Palestinian Community Network [USPCN]) and Jewish Voice for Peace as we protest the American Israel Public Affairs Committee (AIPAC)-Chicago Annual Event Thursday, May 30th, 2019, at 5 PM at the Hyatt Regency – downtown Chicago at 151 E. Wacker Drive.
AIPAC is a supporter of the rabidly racist administrations in both Israel and the U.S. It aids in the violations of Palestinian human, civil, and national rights (both here and in Palestine), and we are going to make clear to AIPAC and its supporters on May 30th that they are not welcome in our city!
- CDSA Game Night; 7 PM – 10 PM; Beermiscuous; 2812 N. Lincoln Ave.
Join your comrades for socialist socializing over beers and board games! CDSA is hosting a game night at Beermiscuous on the last day of May; come by to talk, drink, and play before our busy June begins! Some board games will be provided, but feel free to bring your own as well. The event will be in the upstairs area; you can buy beer and snacks at the bar. Kids are welcome, but only if accompanied by adults.
NOTE: There’s only space for 35 people, so please confirm as soon as you can! This location is ADA compliant
- Executive Committee Meeting; 12 PM – 3 PM; Bucktown-Wicker Park Library; 1701 N. Milwaukee Ave.
If there is a proposal you would like to bring to the EC, please email both Chapter Co-Chairs (email@example.com & firstname.lastname@example.org) before the end of the day Sunday 5/26/2019.
As a reminder, all CDSA members are welcome to attend, but only EC members can vote. This meeting location is accessible, but the bathrooms are not gender neutral.
- Class Struggle Campaigns and Bernie 2020; 3 PM – 5 PM; Hairpin Arts Center; 2810 N. Milwaukee
Interested in discussing how the Bernie 2020 campaign will interact with our chapter priority campaigns like Medicare for All, Lifting the Ban on rent control, municipalizing ComEd and local electoral work? This meeting will feature both speakers and group discussions on topics such as:
What can socialists gain from elections? What have we seen in the recent political moment? What did we learn in the last Chicago election? How can that apply to a Bernie 2020 Campaign? How did DSA organize in 2016 for a Bernie Sanders candidacy? And, of course, the big question of how should socialists relate to electoral politics? This location is ADA accessible but does not have gender neutral bathrooms.
- CDSA Lift the Ban Committee Meeting; 6 PM – 8 PM; 1622 S. Blue Island Ave.
Join the Chicago DSA Lift The Ban On Rent Control committee to participate in and formulate our strategy to aid the state-wide coalition for rent control and further a socialist agenda for housing justice.
Information to join via video or phone conference will be posted soon.
- Chicago DSA is going to be out canvassing for Medicare For All pretty much every weekend (as long as the weather is good. Sign up for and find information about times and locations for the canvasses here.
- CDSA’s Membership Convention is coming up! At the membership meeting, among other things, we’ll be voting on new officers. You can find a list of the candidates and their statements here. To sign up for the convention and register to vote, please do so here. Additionally, we’re looking for volunteers to help out at the convention. If you’re interested in helping with that, please complete this form.
- The Socialism 2019 Conference is in Chicago from July 4th-7th. This year the DSA is sponsoring numerous talks throughout the weekend, and the Democratic Socialist Labor Commission is organizing a series of panels on the labor movement. DSA members from chapters all over the country will be in attendance, so it’s a great opportunity to meet other DSAers without even leaving Chicago! Make sure to register for the conference before June 1st to get Early Bird pricing!
- The Strike and Solidarity Committee is looking for strike captains! If you’re interested in being a strike captain (no experience required!), fill out this survey about the times and areas where you could help. They have also set up an SMS system to keep people posted about strike and solidarity actions. People that want to get updates should text SOLIDARITY to 55222.
- If you aren’t on the CDSA Slack Channel yet, but would like to be, shoot me an email at email@example.com and I’ll get you set up with it.
- Grievance Policy. If you ever feel you are being harassed by another member of DSA, or made to feel uncomfortable by a member, or have a conflict with another member, please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org to get in touch with our chapter’s Harassment and Grievance Officers.