Good Morning Chicago DSA,
I woke up Saturday morning (2 AM) to my girlfriend whispering in my ear, “They passed the RHA”. So, yeah, they passed the RHA! Now on its way to Pritzker’s desk, the Reproductive Health Act is a CDSA-endorsed state bill that recognizes abortion as a fundamental right and modernizes Illinois’ reproductive rights laws by repealing outdated and unconstitutional prohibitions on reproductive healthcare. It treats abortion as it should be treated – like any other healthcare. Major props to all of the work done to make this a reality, from our members in the Socialist Feminist Working Group to our coalition allies. This is a big deal. There is always more work to do in fighting for reproductive justice, but still, this is a great win that we should celebrate.
We’ve got a few events on the schedule this week. Find information below. Be sure to check out the membership convention this Saturday (June 8th). I’ll see you out there, comrades! 🙂
- CDSA Lift the Ban Committee Meeting; 6 PM – 8 PM; 1622 S. Blue Island Ave.
Join the Chicago DSA Lift The Ban On Rent Control committee to participate in and formulate our strategy to aid the state-wide coalition for rent control and further a socialist agenda for housing justice.
Information to join via video or phone conference will be posted soon.
- Anti-Racism Working Group Meeting; 7 PM – 9 PM; UE Hall; 37 S. Ashland Ave.
Join us for our June monthly meeting of the Anti-Racism Working Group as we discuss our direct action plans for the summer, report back on the BYP 100 police forum, next steps for Free Heartland Kids, and elections!
We will be meeting in the basement of UE Hall. This location is unfortunately not ADA-compliant. Additionally, it does not have gender neutral bathrooms available.
- Heartland Cafe Redevelopment Town Hall; 7 PM – 9 PM; Loyola Park; 1230 W. Greenleaf Ave.
Come out to the first Community Town Hall to discuss development proposals for the former Heartland Cafe site on Wednesday, June 5 at 7 pm. There is a push to have the proposed development be 100% affordable housing and 100% accessible. Residents will hear from Alderwoman Hadden, the developer Sam Goldman, have time for Q&A and then time to work with neighbors and the Alderwoman to engage with proposals for the site. Refreshments provided. Spanish translation available.
- CDSA Membership Convention; 12:30 PM – 4 PM; Chicago Teachers Union; 1901 W. Carroll Ave.
This is our chapter’s biggest meeting of the year, so you should definitely be there, if at all possible.
At the membership meeting, among other things, we’ll be voting on new officers as well as bylaw amendments and chapter resolutions. You can find a list of the officer candidates and their statements here. To sign up for the convention and register to vote, please do so here. Additionally, we’re looking for volunteers to help out at the convention. If you’re interested in helping with that, please complete this form.
- Chicago DSA is going to be out canvassing for Medicare For All pretty much every weekend (as long as the weather is good. Sign up for and find information about times and locations for the canvasses here.
- The Socialism 2019 Conference is in Chicago from July 4th-7th. This year the DSA is sponsoring numerous talks throughout the weekend, and the Democratic Socialist Labor Commission is organizing a series of panels on the labor movement. DSA members from chapters all over the country will be in attendance, so it’s a great opportunity to meet other DSAers without even leaving Chicago!
- The Strike and Solidarity Committee is looking for strike captains! If you’re interested in being a strike captain (no experience required!), fill out this survey about the times and areas where you could help. They have also set up an SMS system to keep people posted about strike and solidarity actions. People that want to get updates should text SOLIDARITY to 55222.
- If you aren’t on the CDSA Slack Channel yet, but would like to be, shoot me an email at firstname.lastname@example.org and I’ll get you set up with it.
- Grievance Policy. If you ever feel you are being harassed by another member of DSA, or made to feel uncomfortable by a member, or have a conflict with another member, please reach out to email@example.com to get in touch with our chapter’s Harassment and Grievance Officers.