Good Morning Chicago DSA,
For those of you that weren’t able to make it – our Membership Convention yesterday was a success! Over 160 people came out. Four of our elected alderpeople gave rousing speeches. We got a fantastic report from our treasurer Ed where we learned that the Debs Dinner made over double what we’d hoped for. We voted as a chapter to approve the candidacies of Rachel Zibrat, Marianela D’Aprile, and Sean Estelle who are all running for DSA’s National Political Committee at the National DSA convention in August. (Congratulations to all.) And we also started the online vote for our new Chapter Officers. If you registered to vote over the last couple of weeks, you should’ve received your ballot from OpaVote in your inbox yesterday, so be sure to check for that and vote!
And with these elections for new CDSA officers, I’m both very happy and also a little bummed (but not that bummed) to announce that this is my last This Week in the CDSA email. Caleb Nordgren, who is running for Comms Coordinator unopposed, will be taking over starting next week. He’s going to do an awesome job and I’m excited to see what changes he brings to our chapter’s communications. But yeah, I’m out of here! Thanks to all of you for reading my emails and not immediately unsubscribing from the email list. Hopefully, the flavor I added was at least a little amusing or charming.
It’s been really amazing getting to see the chapter grow from when I first joined and started getting involved with Comms to where it is now, and it’s been an honor to have had a small part in that. I’m so proud of everything we’ve accomplished and I want to thank all of you for organizing, kicking ass, and making my job easy on me. Doing communications is a breeze when it’s mostly just bragging about all the wins you all racked up in your organizing. Excited for our new leadership to take us to even greater heights.
So yeah, with all that said, we’ve got some good events on the calendar this week. You can find all the information below. I’ll see you out there, comrades (just maybe a little less than before) 🙂
- Immigrants Rights Committee Meeting; 7 PM – 8:30 PM; CDSA Office; 3411 W. Diversey Ave.
Help us continue our work to abolish ICE and work to promote immigrants rights actions.
- Electoral Working Group Meeting; 6:30 PM – 8:30 PM; 300 S. Ashland Ave.
Join the Chicago DSA Electoral Working Group for our monthly meeting! We will be discussing our new Political Digest, IPOs, and starting the candidate endorsement process for 2020.
- Labor Working Group Meeting; 7 PM – 9 PM; UE Hall; 37 S. Ashland Ave.
Come to the Labor Working Group’s monthly meeting!
We are an intersectional group of labor militants who are actively rebuilding the labor movement from the ground-up through organizing the unorganized and strengthening the power of the organized rank-and-file worker. We demand a proactive labor movement, both nationally and locally, that can combat worker exploitation and respond to the new economy of fissured workplaces. We believe that in order to overthrow capitalism we need to build a militant movement of labor activists.
- Queer Socialist Hang Out; 3 PM – 5 PM; New Wave Coffee; 3103 W. Logan Blvd
Please join us for coffee and conversation! We’re going to hang out and chat about queer socialism. All are welcome!
- Democratize ComEd Campaign Planning Meeting; 12 PM – 4 PM; UE Hall; 37 S. Ashland Ave.
Come be part of developing a plan for the Democratize ComEd Campaign! Now that we have a draft strategy, we will be clarifying specifics of each facet of the campaign, identifying tactics for growing out movement, and looking ahead to the future!
- Medicare For All Weekend of Action; 1 PM – 4 PM; Polk Station – Pink Line; 1713 W. Polk St.
Come join the Chicago DSA Medicare for All Campaign in raising health justice awareness in the Illinois Medical District. This event will be one of many across the country for National DSA’s M4A Weekend of Action. Tabling will begin at 1PM near the Polk Pink Line, and there will be an opportunity for those who are new or curious about the campaign to talk to members of the Chicago DSA Health Care Working Group at Garibaldi Park afterwards. Snacks and beverages will be provided!
- The Socialism 2019 Conference is in Chicago from July 4th-7th. This year the DSA is sponsoring numerous talks throughout the weekend, and the Democratic Socialist Labor Commission is organizing a series of panels on the labor movement. DSA members from chapters all over the country will be in attendance, so it’s a great opportunity to meet other DSAers without even leaving Chicago!
- The minutes from the May Executive Committee Meeting have been published.
- The Strike and Solidarity Committee is looking for strike captains! If you’re interested in being a strike captain (no experience required!), fill out this survey about the times and areas where you could help. They have also set up an SMS system to keep people posted about strike and solidarity actions. People that want to get updates should text SOLIDARITY to 55222.
- If you aren’t on the CDSA Slack Channel yet, but would like to be, shoot me an email at email@example.com and I’ll get you set up with it.
- Grievance Policy. If you ever feel you are being harassed by another member of DSA, or made to feel uncomfortable by a member, or have a conflict with another member, please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org to get in touch with our chapter’s Harassment and Grievance Officers.