Good Morning Chicago DSA,
It’s a very light week this week, what with the holiday and all. Hopefully all of you can find time to celebrate with friends and/or family, hopefully without too much masturbation to The Concept Of America involved. If you’re not otherwise busy, there is the Socialism Conference, down at McCormick Place (see below), but a few days to relax, grill, and maybe watch some fireworks (if that’s something you’re into) is probably good for us.
I really don’t have much of anything to say here. I’m not especially angry about anything at the moment (besides the low level of smoldering rage that has become my baseline over the last few years), I’m not feeling sentimental, and I don’t have any stories to tell.
One thing I will say is that I am honored to officially take over as Communications Coordinator tomorrow, along with the rest of the incoming Executive Committee. My fellow officers are great comrades, they’re committed to the cause, and they’re going to be extremely good and cool in office. I… will also be there.
But seriously, with Zach off on sabbatical I’ve already been de facto comms coordinator for almost three weeks, and while making it official won’t change much, it will help me not feel like I’ve stolen Zach’s title and am LARPing as a Serious Person Who Is In Charge Of Actual Things. I look forward to serving you all in the coming year and want to state as clearly as possible that if anyone needs anything from me, they need only to ask.
That’s all from me now, I think, but before we get to this week’s calendar…
A SPECIAL ANNOUNCEMENT
CDSA has accepted the Chicago Community Bond Fund’s request for us to join the Illinois Network for Pretrial Justice. For more information about the Network, and how to individually get involved, see this document. Please sign and share this petition (video for context) by tonight! The Network is pushing the Illinois Supreme Court Commission on Pretrial Practices to recommend a Supreme Court rule to end wealth-based pretrial incarceration. Contact Eli Namay (email@example.com) If you are interested in getting more involved.
Everyone is invited to the People’s Convening on Pretrial Freedom, July 13th in Springfield! We hope to have over 150 people present from around the state. We do want to make sure that everyone registers via Eventbrite so we can get an accurate count for ordering food. There will be buses leaving for Springfield from Chicago.
Keep an eye on the CDSA website (and next week’s email) for more information.
- Anti-Racism Working Group Meeting; 7 – 9 PM; U.E. Hall, 37 S. Ashland Ave.
Join us for our July monthly meeting of the Anti-Racism Working Group as we discuss CPAC, the Free Heartland Kids campaign kickoff, various new projects, and have our working group elections!
- Socialism Conference; McCormick Place, 2233 S. King Dr.
The DSA is sponsoring numerous talks throughout the weekend, and the Democratic Socialist Labor Commission is organizing a series of panels on the labor movement. DSA members from chapters all over the country will be in attendance, so it’s a great opportunity to meet other DSAers without even leaving Chicago!
- The minutes from the March General Membership Meeting have been published.
- The Strike and Solidarity Committee is looking for strike captains! If you’re interested in being a strike captain (no experience required!), fill out this survey about the times and areas where you could help. They have also set up an SMS system to keep people posted about strike and solidarity actions. People that want to get updates should text SOLIDARITY to 55222.
- If you aren’t on the CDSA Slack Channel yet, but would like to be, shoot me an email at firstname.lastname@example.org and I’ll get you set up with it.
- Grievance Policy. If you ever feel you are being harassed by another member of DSA, or made to feel uncomfortable by a member, or have a conflict with another member, please reach out to email@example.com to get in touch with our chapter’s Harassment and Grievance Officers.
Fill out this form immediately if you have CDSA organized/sponsored event you want on the calendar. Submissions must be in by the preceding Friday at the latest to make this email.
Check out the events page on our website for the most up date list of events.
Forward this email to your friends!