Good Morning Chicago DSA,
Folks, last week was light but this week sure isn’t. We’ve got at least one event every day this week, so I’m going to keep this short and sweet.
I hope you all had a chance to make it out to the 2019 Socialism Conference where we’ve had some excellent panels and discussions. We’ll have plenty of audio and video up on Midwest Socialist in the coming week or so, so keep an eye on the website as well as the Midwest Socialist YouTube Channel for that.
The conference is still going today, and you can get in for the day for $20 and for a single session for $10. If you don’t have anything going on, I highly recommend it!
All right, on to the events.
- Immigrants Rights Committee Meeting; 7 – 9 PM; U.E. Hall, 37 S. Ashland Ave.
Join the Immigrants Rights Committee as we meet to discuss the ongoing #FreeHeartlandKids campaign and plan future actions! We will be meeting in the basement.
- Labor Working Group Meeting; 7 – 8:30 PM; U.E. Hall, 37 S. Ashland Ave.
Come to the Labor Working Group’s monthly meeting! We are an intersectional group of labor militants who are actively rebuilding the labor movement from the ground-up through organizing the unorganized and strengthening the power of the organized rank-and-file worker. We demand a proactive labor movement, both nationally and locally, that can combat worker exploitation and respond to the new economy of fissured workplaces. We believe that in order to overthrow capitalism we need to build a militant movement of labor activists.
- Electoral Working Group Meeting; 6:30 – 8:30 PM; 300 S. Ashland Ave.
Join the Chicago DSA Electoral Working Group for our monthly meeting! We will be discussing opportunities to get involved with the Red Star Bulletin, IPOs, creation of working group bylaws, and updates to our endorsement process for 2020. We’ll be on the third floor.
- Arts and Culture Subcommittee Meeting; 7 – 9 PM; CDSA Office, 3411 W. Diversey
“The role of the artist is to make the revolution irresistible.” -Toni Cade Bambara. Join us for the first meeting of the CDSA Arts and Culture Subcommittee. Our goal is to create space for creative outlet in the organization and expand our Communications work to include more creative expression in our publications, podcasts, and other media. If you’re an artist, writer, musician, and/or just generally interested in promoting culture and creativity within CDSA, bring your ideas to this meeting and let’s make socialism irresistible!
- CDSA Goes To Atlanta; 6 – 6 PM; Conrad Sulzer Library, 4455 N. Lincoln Ave.
41 CDSA delegates are going to Atlanta for the DSA National Convention to vote on bylaws and resolutions, and we want to hear your thoughts! All CDSA members are invited to join our delegates on Thursday 7/11 from 6-8PM in a discussion about the upcoming National Convention votes.
- #FreeHeartlandKids Friday Action; 4:30 – 6:30 PM; Heartland Alliance HQ, 208 S. LaSalle St.
Hundreds of immigrant children are being detained in our backyard. Heartland Alliance is a Chicago-based nonprofit org that has historically focused on anti-poverty and immigration issues. Heartland currently operates 5 child detention centers and, until recently, 2 in Des Plaines. Currently, over 350 children are detained by Heartland. The Chicago DSA Immigrants Rights Committee is fighting back. ALL ARE WELCOME! We will have signs, banners, leaflets, petitions, chants, and more depending on the time and day. You can show up with nothing but your principles, and we will have material and information to offer you. If you would like to bring your own signs, banners, leaflets, petitions, chants, and more, we welcome them!
- People’s Convening on Pretrial Freedom; 12 – 5 PM; State House Inn, 101 E Adams St., Springfield, IL
Across Illinois, a movement for pretrial justice is growing. Join the Coalition to End Money Bond for the first gathering of the Illinois Network for Pretrial Justice on July 13, 2019 in Springfield, IL! At the People’s Convening on Pretrial Freedom, people from across the state will gather to share knowledge, build relationships, and develop strategies to end unjust pretrial practices and build toward a more just future in our state!
- Medicare for All Campaign Planning Retreat; 1 – 5 PM; CDSA Office, 3411 W. Diversey Ave.
Join CDSA’s Medicare for All campaign as we reflect on what we’ve accomplished so far and lay the groundwork for a bigger and better campaign in the months to come!
- If you would like to receive our Red Star Bulletin, providing you with news and analysis from all over Chicago, fill out this form.
- The Strike and Solidarity Committee is looking for strike captains! If you’re interested in being a strike captain (no experience required!), fill out this survey about the times and areas where you could help. They have also set up an SMS system to keep people posted about strike and solidarity actions. People that want to get updates should text SOLIDARITY to 55222.
- If you aren’t on the CDSA Slack Channel yet, but would like to be, shoot me an email at firstname.lastname@example.org and I’ll get you set up with it.
- Grievance Policy. If you ever feel you are being harassed by another member of DSA, or made to feel uncomfortable by a member, or have a conflict with another member, please reach out to email@example.com to get in touch with our chapter’s Harassment and Grievance Officers.
- Help get CDSA to Atlanta! We’ve got 41 delegates going to the 2019 DSA National Convention next month. Click here to donate to help our delegates get there!
Fill out this form immediately if you have CDSA organized/sponsored event you want on the calendar. Submissions must be in by the preceding Friday at the latest to make this email.
Check out the events page on our website for the most up date list of events.
Forward this email to your friends!