Good Morning Chicago DSA,
Lots of stuff happening again this weekend, including a very busy Wednesday evening, so I’ll try to keep this brief.
I may be pretty much alone in this, but I enjoy a good meeting. That is, one with vibrant discussions and comradely debate. And boy did we have a good, long meeting yesterday at the first meeting of the Executive Committee since us new officers were elected. I highly encourage y’all to come out and see the EC in action, if you ever get a chance, or to run for your branch representative spots. Several positions either have opened up or will soon, so keep an eye on your branch meeting agendas.
Speaking of branch meetings, there’s one today if you’re on the West Side of Cook County. The West Cook Branch, which I am a part of, will meet at 1 PM (so hopefully you’re reading this before then) and vote on our new steering committee as well as hear from Anthony Clark, who is running for congress against Rep. Danny Davis (IL-7). Just wanted to put that out there.
Anyway, on to the good stuff.
- Counter-protest for Abortion Rights; 4 – 6 PM; Ogilvie Transportation Center, 500 W. Madison St.
Far right anti-abortion protesters will be demonstrating in downtown Chicago as part of their bigoted “truth tour.” We won’t let them go unopposed. Join with local abortion rights activists as we peacefully counter-demonstrate to show that Chicago stands for abortion access and reproductive justice.
- Medicare for All IL-9 Campaign Meeting; 7:30 – 9 PM; Pub 626 (Teal Room), 1406 W. Morse Ave.
Join members of Chicago DSA’s Health Care Working Group as we plan our fight for Medicare for All in Illinois’s ninth congressional district! Help us build the movement that will defeat the health care profiteers and win a future where health care is a universal human right. All are welcome, including those living outside the ninth district and non-DSA members.
- CBA Canvass; 3 – 7 PM; STOP Office, 602 E. 61st St.
Come join a joint canvass with Southside Together Organizing for Power (STOP) and the Chicago Democratic Socialists of America (CDSA) to talk with residents the need for a Community Benefits Agreement (CBA) Ordinance to stop displacement around the Obama Center.
- Socialist Feminist Working Group Meeting; 7 – 8:30 PM; CDSA Office, 3411 W. Diversey
Time for another meeting with your friendly Socialist Feminist Working Group. Join us to learn more about the projects we’re working on and how you can get involved.
- Socialist Feminist Reading Group; 6:30 – 7:30 PM; Sawyer Altgeld Corner Farm, 2501 N. Sawyer Ave.
We will be discussing Caliban and the Witch – Chapter 3 & 4 The Great Caliban: The Great Witch Hunt in Europe (pages 163-218) and Colonization and Christianization (page 219-243). Read it all or read a portion and join the discussion about the history of Labor and Feminism. (Free PDF available) Join us for discussion and snacks! All are welcome!
- Housing Working Group Meeting; 6:30 – 8 PM; National Public Housing Museum, 625 N. Kingsbury
We will be discussing new projects for the workgroup including upcoming city ordinances, tenant organizing, and more. We will also be setting up a live video chat for those who cannot attend in person for any reason.
- Environmental Justice Working Group Meeting; 7 – 8:30 PM; U.E. Hall, 37 S. Ashland Ave.
Please come to the monthly meeting of the Environmental Justice Working Group! We will continue ComEd campaign on-boarding and discuss new ways to get involved with the working group.
- Solidarity Economy Working Group Meeting; 7 – 9 PM; Harold Washington Library, 6th Floor
Our working mission to educate, advocate, and build community in Chicago which around a vision of a democratic economy. At this month’s meeting, we will recap recent developments in Chicago’s solidarity economy landscape, discuss personal projects we are pursuing in furtherance of the solidarity economy, and brainstorm projects to grow the public understanding of a solidarity economy.
- #FreeHeartlandKids Friday Action; 4:30 – 6:30 PM; Heartland Alliance HQ, 208 S. LaSalle St.
Hundreds of immigrant children are being detained in our backyard. Heartland Alliance is a Chicago-based nonprofit org that has historically focused on anti-poverty and immigration issues. Heartland currently operates 5 child detention centers and, until recently, 2 in Des Plaines. Currently, over 350 children are detained by Heartland. The Chicago DSA Immigrants Rights Committee is fighting back. ALL ARE WELCOME! We will have signs, banners, leaflets, petitions, chants, and more depending on the time and day. You can show up with nothing but your principles, and we will have material and information to offer you. If you would like to bring your own signs, banners, leaflets, petitions, chants, and more, we welcome them!
- Socialist Summer Barbecue; 2 – 6 PM
Join the CDSA chapter campaigns on July 20th for brats, bags, burgs, and Bernie! (he probably can’t make it, sorry). We hope to have confirmation on a location soon!
- If you would like to receive our Red Star Bulletin, providing you with news and analysis from all over Chicago, fill out this form.
- The Strike and Solidarity Committee is looking for strike captains! If you’re interested in being a strike captain (no experience required!), fill out this survey about the times and areas where you could help. They have also set up an SMS system to keep people posted about strike and solidarity actions. People that want to get updates should text SOLIDARITY to 55222.
- If you aren’t on the CDSA Slack Channel yet, but would like to be, shoot me an email at email@example.com and I’ll get you set up with it.
- Grievance Policy. If you ever feel you are being harassed by another member of DSA, or made to feel uncomfortable by a member, or have a conflict with another member, please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org to get in touch with our chapter’s Harassment and Grievance Officers.
- Help get CDSA to Atlanta! We’ve got 41 delegates going to the 2019 DSA National Convention next month. Click here to donate to help our delegates get there!
Fill out this form immediately if you have CDSA organized/sponsored event you want on the calendar. Submissions must be in by the preceding Friday at the latest to make this email.
Check out the events page on our website for the most up date list of events.
Forward this email to your friends!