Good Morning Chicago DSA,
Hope everyone’s staying cool, even as the earth continues to melt down around us. Temperatures like this really help crystallize the idea that climate change is here and we have a very limited window to do something before the whole thing goes to hell.
On that front, we’ve got an exciting day coming up on Saturday, where the Environmental Justice Working Group will be officially launching our Democratize ComEd campaign. For those of you that don’t remember, we adopted the campaign to push for municipalization of ComEd ahead of the renegotiation of its contract with the city next year, back at our March general membership meeting. See full details down below for the launch event, which will take place in both the 33rd ward on the North Side and the 25th Ward on the South Side.
Also, a quick programming note: savvy readers may have noticed that the subject line of this email includes today, as well as the seven days that follow. A colleague pointed out that it can be helpful to get a reminder of what’s happening the day this email goes out, rather than hope you can remember what was in last week’s email. It so happens that nothing is on our calendar for today, but the point stands. So we’re going to give this a shot for a little while. If you have thoughts, feel free to let me know.
- Queer Socialist Working Group Meeting; 7 – 8:30 PM; CDSA Office, 3411 W. Diversey Ave.
Please join us for our monthly meeting! We’ll be discussing projects related to LGBTQ+ rights and liberation. All are welcome!
- Communications Committee Meeting; 7 – 9 PM; CDSA Office (Crossroads Conference Room), 3411 W. Diversey Ave.
Join the CDSA Communications Committee for our July meeting! We’ll be discussing social media, video, podcast, our print publication, and our new Arts & Culture team. We’ve got a lot of projects to work on, and if you’ve never been to a CDSA meeting before, the smaller meetings are a great way to get involved. Our meetings are open to members and non-members, and we hope you’ll join us!
- Community Benefits Agreement (CBA) Canvass with STOP; 3 – 7 PM; STOP Office, 602 E. 61st St.
Come join a joint canvass with Southside Together Organizing for Power (STOP) and the Chicago Democratic Socialists of America (CDSA) to talk with residents the need for a Community Benefits Agreement (CBA) Ordinance to stop displacement around the Obama Center. Learn more at obamacba.org
- Health Care Working Group Meeting; 7 – 8:30 PM; CDSA Office, 3411 W. Diversey Ave.
Come check out Chicago DSA’s efforts to fight for health justice and make Medicare For All a reality! This will be the monthly meeting of our Health Care Working Group and chapter Medicare for All campaign, where we will be discussing our ongoing work to canvass, support community health, build coalitions, and more! All are welcome, including non-DSA folks.
- #FreeHeartlandKids Friday Action; 4:30 – 6:30 PM; Heartland Alliance HQ, 208 S. LaSalle St.
Hundreds of immigrant children are being detained in our backyard. Heartland Alliance is a Chicago-based nonprofit org that has historically focused on anti-poverty and immigration issues. Heartland currently operates 5 child detention centers and, until recently, 2 in Des Plaines. Currently, over 350 children are detained by Heartland. The Chicago DSA Immigrants Rights Committee is fighting back. ALL ARE WELCOME! We will have signs, banners, leaflets, petitions, chants, and more depending on the time and day. You can show up with nothing but your principles, and we will have material and information to offer you. If you would like to bring your own signs, banners, leaflets, petitions, chants, and more, we welcome them!
- Support TDU in Chicago; 7:30 – 10 PM; Teamster City, 1645 W. Jackson Blvd.
Join fellow Chicago labor activists, TDU members, and our allies to support Teamsters for a Democratic Union and the movement for grassroots, progressive unionism.
- #DemocratizeComEd Campaign Launch; 10 AM – 2 PM; 33rd Ward United Working Families, 3248 W. Montrose Ave. (North Side; Fosco Park Community Center, 1312 S. Racine Ave. (South Side)
Do you believe we should own our energy? Join us for the official launch of Chicago DSA’s #DemocratizeComEd Campaign! For the first time in 30 years, Chicago’s electricity distributor ComEd is renegotiating its contract with the city. Now’s the time for us to push for a city-owned electric utility with an elected board, aggressive renewable energy targets, progressive rates, and green, union jobs to maintain infrastructure. If we democratize ComEd, we can serve our communities and the environment instead of investors.
We will be meeting in the 25th and 33rd wards for a rally, followed by canvassing in the area to talk to residents about their experiences and what we’re fighting for. We need your help to work towards a greener, more democratic future! Email DemComEd@gmail.com for more information.
- Illinois for Bernie People’s Convention; 11 AM – 4 PM; Edward Hotel, 6600 Mannheim Rd., Rosemont, IL
Join Bernie supporters from across the state this Saturday, July 27th at the Illinois for Bernie People’s Convention in Rosemont (which was just endorsed by CDSA)! Early bird registration ends today (Sunday, July 21), so be sure to register via Eventbrite (https://illinois4bernie-peoples-convention-2019.eventbrite.com) if you want to save a few bucks. Members of several Illinois DSA chapters will be speaking and facilitating breakout groups, and Chicago DSA will be tabling at the event. You can check out the event agenda and speaker lineup here: www.illinois4bernie.org/peoplesconvention. It will be a great day of grassroots organizing, relationship building… and working towards sustaining the Bernie movement far beyond the 2020 election!
- Tech Committee Working Session; 12 – 2 PM, CDSA Office, 3411 W. Diversey Ave.
Welcome to the Chicago DSA Bimonthly in-person working session! We will be working on various tech projects within CDSA including integrating our CI/CD pipeline with existing projects, creation of an open-source voting app, and other tech experiments that CDSA can use to help enhance our productivity as a socialist organization.
- South Side Branch Meeting; 12 – 1:30 PM;
Please join us Saturday July 27th at noon for our monthly branch meeting. At this meeting we will welcome our new branch Steering Committee and discuss the possibility of expanding the number of positions on the SC. We will also discuss the upcoming DSA National Convention and hear from some of our branch delegates. Finally, we’ll hear about some of the immigration justice work being done on the South Side. Following the meeting we will have a branch planning meeting; details TBA.
- Medicare For All Fundraiser; 2 – 6 PM; Metropolitan Brewing, 3057 N. Rockwell St.
Join the Chicago DSA Health Care Working Group and Medicare for All Campaign for happy hour fun at Metropolitan Brewing. Like the last fundraiser there held in October, every dollar for every drink purchased by any patron between 2 and 6 will go to the working group. Some of these funds will also go to alleviating travel costs for the Campaign’s delegates to the National Convention: Isa Janusz, Angela Janusz, Brent O’Reilly, and Jen Zylema!
- If you would like to receive our Red Star Bulletin, providing you with news and analysis from all over Chicago, fill out this form.
- The Strike and Solidarity Committee is looking for strike captains! If you’re interested in being a strike captain (no experience required!), fill out this survey about the times and areas where you could help. They have also set up an SMS system to keep people posted about strike and solidarity actions. People that want to get updates should text SOLIDARITY to 55222.
- The Electoral Working Group would like to announce that its endorsement questionnaire is now available! Requests can be sent to email@example.com.
- If you are a CDSA meber but aren’t on the CDSA Slack Channel yet, and would like to be, shoot me an email at firstname.lastname@example.org and I’ll get you set up with it.
- Grievance Policy. If you ever feel you are being harassed by another member of DSA, or made to feel uncomfortable by a member, or have a conflict with another member, please reach out to email@example.com to get in touch with our chapter’s Harassment and Grievance Officers.
- Help get CDSA to Atlanta! We’ve got 41 delegates going to the 2019 DSA National Convention next month. Click here to donate to help our delegates get there!
Fill out this form immediately if you have CDSA organized/sponsored event you want on the calendar. Submissions must be in by the preceding Friday at the latest to make this email.
Check out the events page on our website for the most up date list of events.
Forward this email to your friends!