Good Morning Chicago DSA,
It’s a light week this week, so hopefully all of you can take time with your families and friends to enjoy the long weekend, as well as celebrate our comrades in the American Labor Movement who came before us (and everyone who is currently part of the Labor Movement, obviously).
I will take this opportunity to quote from Solidarity Forever:
When the union’s inspiration
Through the workers’ blood shall run
There can be no power greater
Anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker
Than the feeble strength of one?
But the union makes us strong
Keep up the good work, comrades. I’ll see you out there.
- Anti-Racism Working Group Meeting; 7 – 9 PM; U.E. Hall, 37 S. Ashland Ave.
Monthly meeting of CDSA’s Anti-Racism Working Group. We will be reviewing working group member campaigns, ongoing anti-racism activism, news and upcoming events, and a short reading. Please email email@example.com for more information, or to join our email list to get updates about future meetings (or this one).
- Climate Town Hall Watch Party; 7 – 10 PM; Billy Goat Tavern, 1535 W. Madison St.
Join CDSA for Bernie and the CDSA Democratize ComEd Campaign for our Climate Town Hall Watch Party!
- #FreeHeartlandKids Friday Action; 4:30 – 6:30 PM; Heartland Alliance HQ, 208 S. LaSalle St.
Hundreds of immigrant children are being detained in our backyard. Heartland Alliance is a Chicago-based nonprofit org that has historically focused on anti-poverty and immigration issues. Heartland currently operates 5 child detention centers and, until recently, 2 in Des Plaines. Currently, over 350 children are detained by Heartland. The Chicago DSA Immigrants Rights Committee is fighting back. This is a nonviolent action. We especially do not want to put participants who may be vulnerable on account of their documentation status at risk of arrest during this action. Ultimately, of course, the relevant authorities are responsible for how they choose to respond to our nonviolent action, but it is important that participants understand that a nonviolent action is what the the Free Heartland Kids campaign is engaging in for this week. ALL ARE WELCOME! We will have signs, banners, leaflets, petitions, chants, and more depending on the time and day. You can show up with nothing but your principles, and we will have material and information to offer you. If you would like to bring your own signs, banners, leaflets, petitions, chants, and more, we welcome them!
- Community Benefits Agreement (CBA) Ordinance Canvass with STOP; 10 AM – 2 PM; STOP Office, 602 E. 61st St.
We are planning some Saturday canvasses in August and September! Come join a joint canvass with Southside Together Organizing for Power (STOP) and the Chicago Democratic Socialists of America (CDSA) to talk with residents the need for a Community Benefits Agreement (CBA) Ordinance to stop displacement around the Obama Center. Learn more here: http://www.obamacba.org/
- CDSA For Bernie Launch Canvass; 11 AM – 3 PM; 2934 N Milwaukee Ave, Unit C
Inaugural canvass for Chicago DSA for Bernie! We will be going out to talk to neighbors about Bernie and why we support him as socialists. We will begin with a training on how to engage with residents, so whether you are new or experienced to canvassing be sure to join us!
- #DemocratizeComEd 39th Ward Canvass; 11 AM – 2 PM; Cafe Urbano, 4176 N. Elston Ave.
Do you believe we should own our energy? Join us for a canvass in the 39th Ward for the #DemocratizeComEd Campaign! For the first time in 30 years, Chicago’s electricity distributor ComEd is renegotiating its contract with the city. Now’s the time for us to push for a city-owned electric utility with an elected board, aggressive renewable energy targets, progressive rates, and green, union jobs to maintain infrastructure. If we democratize ComEd, we can serve our communities and the environment instead of investors. We will be canvassing in the 39th Ward to talk to residents about their experiences and what we’re fighting for. We need your help to work towards a greener, more democratic future! Email DemComEd@gmail.com for more information
- West Cook Branch Meeting; 1 – 3 PM; Cicero Public Library, 5225 W. Cermak Rd.
If you’re on the west side of Chicago or the near western suburbs, come out and join the West Cook Branch for their monthly meeting! Light refreshments will be provided.
- If you would like to receive our Red Star Bulletin, providing you with news and analysis from all over Chicago, fill out this form.
- The Strike and Solidarity Committee is looking for strike captains! If you’re interested in being a strike captain (no experience required!), fill out this survey about the times and areas where you could help. They have also set up an SMS system to keep people posted about strike and solidarity actions. People that want to get updates should text SOLIDARITY to 55222.
- The Electoral Working Group would like to announce that its endorsement questionnaire is now available! Requests can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- If you are a CDSA meber but aren’t on the CDSA Slack Channel yet, and would like to be, shoot me an email at email@example.com and I’ll get you set up with it.
- Grievance Policy. If you ever feel you are being harassed by another member of DSA, or made to feel uncomfortable by a member, or have a conflict with another member, please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org to get in touch with our chapter’s Harassment and Grievance Officers.
- Announcing the No Sanctions, No War on Iran Ad Hoc Committee: The Trump administration pulling out of the Iran nuclear agreement and imposing sanctions on Iran brought us to within minutes of a shooting war. The threat still exists and will continue to do so as long as sanctions and the US’s campaign of “maximum pressure” continues. Chicago can’t afford another war! The Ad Hoc committee plans to: 1) provide education on Iran, the history of the region and US intervention, the effect of sanctions, and how to avert war; 2) reach out to organizations like anti-war veterans’ groups and homeless advocates, labor unions, mental health advocates, and others who are affected by another potential war; 3) reach out to our DSA Alderpersons for a letter of support and a possible resolution introduced to City Council. The committee will officially start work in a couple of weeks. If interested to find out more or to work with the committee, contact: Saman at email@example.com and Sophie at NoIranSanctions@gmail.com.
Fill out this form immediately if you have CDSA organized/sponsored event you want on the calendar. Submissions must be in by the preceding Friday at the latest to make this email.
Check out the events page on our website for the most up date list of events.
Forward this email to your friends!