Good Morning Chicago DSA,
The Chicago For Bernie campaign is underway! It was great to see so many comrades out there canvassing for the only socialist in the Democratic Presidential race. I wish I could’ve joined y’all. If you, like me, missed out and want to live vicariously through photos, check out the CDSA Twitter account! And there will be more canvasses, as well as a watch party for Thursday’s debate at Metropolitan Brewing! Scroll down a bit for more info on that one.
More immediately, please note that there have been a couple of new canvasses added today since last week’s email, both on the north side. One is for Medicare For All in Illinois’ 5th Congressional District, the other is for solidarity with the teachers at Chicago Public Schools, as they prepare to potentially strike.
Keep up the good work, comrades. I’ll see you out there.
- #DemocratizeComEd 39th Ward Canvass; 11 AM – 2 PM; Cafe Urbano, 4176 N. Elston Ave.
Do you believe we should own our energy? Join us for a canvass in the 39th Ward for the #DemocratizeComEd Campaign! For the first time in 30 years, Chicago’s electricity distributor ComEd is renegotiating its contract with the city. Now’s the time for us to push for a city-owned electric utility with an elected board, aggressive renewable energy targets, progressive rates, and green, union jobs to maintain infrastructure. If we democratize ComEd, we can serve our communities and the environment instead of investors. We will be canvassing in the 39th Ward to talk to residents about their experiences and what we’re fighting for. We need your help to work towards a greener, more democratic future! Email DemComEd@gmail.com for more information
- West Cook Branch Meeting; 1 – 3 PM; Cicero Public Library, 5225 W. Cermak Rd.
If you’re on the west side of Chicago or the near western suburbs, come out and join the West Cook Branch for their monthly meeting! Light refreshments will be provided.
- IL-5 Medicare For All Kick-off Canvass; 1 – 4 PM; Winnemac Park, 5100 N. Leavitt St.
Join us as we kick off Medicare For All canvassing efforts in Illinois’ 5th congressional district. No experience necessary! A brief training will be provided. We’ll be meeting at the southwest corner of Winnemac park at Damen & Argyle.
- CPS Solidarity Canvass; 1 – 4 PM; CDSA Office, 3411 W. Diversey Ave.
Come join us this Sunday at 1, talking to our neighbors in Logan Square about CTU and SEIU 73’s contract fights and potential strike. We will be meeting at the DSA office, 3411 Diversey, and going out from there.
- #FreeHeartlandKids Campaign Meeting; 7 – 9 PM; CDSA Office, 3411 W. Diversey Ave.
Our next Free Heartland Kids meeting where we can continue discussion about working towards the release of immigrant children in detention here in Chicago. We will be discussing next protest/direct action events, outreach strategy, and more.
- Labor Branch Meeting; 7 – 8:30 PM; U.E. Hall, 37 S. Ashland Ave.
Come out to our monthly Labor Branch meeting! We will be discussing our work to plan for and support the potential Chicago Public Schools strike, as well as hear from candidate for our Labor Branch Steering Committee!
- #DemocratizeComEd Political Education Committee Meeting; 7 – 8:30 PM; Harold Washington Library, 400 S. State St.
We are working hard to #DemocratizeComEd! We can’t win this campaign unless Chicagoans see public ownership and democratic control of our energy as a viable alternative to the status quo corporate monopoly. This is where the crucial work of political education comes in. Join us if you want to help plan popular education events, write blog posts, make videos, and more! We’ll be meeting in the 6th Floor North Study Room. If you can make it, please RSVP by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org so that we can make sure the space is sufficient for our needs.
- Democratic Debate Watch Party; 7 – 10 PM; Metropolitan Brewing, 3057 N. Rockwell St.
Join Chicago DSA for the third official democratic debate and help cheer on our favorite boy, Bernie Sanders. Fortunately, only ten candidates qualified for this debate, so it’s one night and you will not have to endure John Delaney anymore. It’s too bad Beto O’Rourke, Kamala Harris, and Joe Biden will still be around, though. This will also be a good opportunity to get plugged in with DSA’s independent Bernie campaign and what our plans are for the next six months, as well as the chapter campaigns in Chicago: Medicare for All, Lift the Ban, and Democratize ComEd!
- Executive Committee Meeting; Noon – 2 PM; U.E. Hall, 37 S. Ashland Ave.
If there is a proposal you would like to bring to the EC, please email both Chapter Co-Chairs (email@example.com & firstname.lastname@example.org) before the end of the day Sunday 9/8/2019. The agenda will be sent out later this week, so keep an eye on your inbox. As a reminder, all CDSA members are welcome to attend, but only EC members can vote.
- Medicare For All Research Party; 5 – 7 PM; 2851 N Harding, Apt 2
The fight to pressure our representatives to support a single-payer healthcare system and nothing less needs your power-mapping and research help! Join the M4A campaign on Saturday, September 14 from 5pm-7pm at 2851 N Harding, Apt 2 for a research party, where we will be looking into what, who, and how much money is behind the healthcare stances of reps in the 3rd, 5th, and 9th Districts so that our strategies in those areas can be more focused and effective. No prior experience needed; instructions and tips will be provided. Snacks will also be provided. Bring your own laptop!
- Socialist Night School: What is the Working Class?; 1 – 3:30 PM; U.E. Hall, 37 S. Ashland Ave.
What do we mean when we talk about the “working class”? Who is “the working class”? Why is it central to socialist organizing? How and why does the working class bring about revolutionary change? The readings can be found on the event page on our website. Please RSVP here: https://forms.gle/kyU9LAgfPQ57Rk2M6
- Lift The Ban Northside Town Hall; 1 – 3 PM; Center On Halsted, 3656 N. Halsted St.
Housing is a human right! Join north-side neighbors to uplift our voices as one to demand rent control.
- If you would like to receive our Red Star Bulletin, providing you with news and analysis from all over Chicago, fill out this form.
- The Strike and Solidarity Committee is looking for strike captains! If you’re interested in being a strike captain (no experience required!), fill out this survey about the times and areas where you could help. They have also set up an SMS system to keep people posted about strike and solidarity actions. People that want to get updates should text SOLIDARITY to 55222.
- The Electoral Working Group would like to announce that its endorsement questionnaire is now available! Requests can be sent to email@example.com.
- If you are a CDSA meber but aren’t on the CDSA Slack Channel yet, and would like to be, shoot me an email at firstname.lastname@example.org and I’ll get you set up with it.
- Grievance Policy. If you ever feel you are being harassed by another member of DSA, or made to feel uncomfortable by a member, or have a conflict with another member, please reach out to email@example.com to get in touch with our chapter’s Harassment and Grievance Officers.
- Announcing the No Sanctions, No War on Iran Ad Hoc Committee: The Trump administration pulling out of the Iran nuclear agreement and imposing sanctions on Iran brought us to within minutes of a shooting war. The threat still exists and will continue to do so as long as sanctions and the US’s campaign of “maximum pressure” continues. Chicago can’t afford another war! The Ad Hoc committee plans to: 1) provide education on Iran, the history of the region and US intervention, the effect of sanctions, and how to avert war; 2) reach out to organizations like anti-war veterans’ groups and homeless advocates, labor unions, mental health advocates, and others who are affected by another potential war; 3) reach out to our DSA Alderpersons for a letter of support and a possible resolution introduced to City Council. The committee will officially start work in a couple of weeks. If interested to find out more or to work with the committee, contact: Saman at firstname.lastname@example.org and Sophie at NoIranSanctions@gmail.com.
Fill out this form immediately if you have CDSA organized/sponsored event you want on the calendar. Submissions must be in by the preceding Friday at the latest to make this email.
Check out the events page on our website for the most up date list of events.
Forward this email to your friends!