Good Morning Chicago DSA,
The CPS Strike is here! Thanks to everyone who has turned out so far to a picket or a rally in a show of solidarity with CPS workers across the city. It’s been amazing to see the outpouring of support, even as neoliberal and corporate interests try to tear us down.
Please remember, though, that while the strike is obviously big and important and attention-grabbing, the work doesn’t stop. The Anthony Clark For Congress campaign is rolling along, #BerniesBack, three of our chapter campaigns — Medicare For All, Democratize ComEd, and Free Heartland Kids — have meetings this week, and there are three political education events as well as three working group meetings.
Obviously we’re all only human, so please don’t overextend yourselves, but we don’t get to just drop the other stuff while the strike goes on. Especially because this looks like it might be a long one.
Keep up the good work, comrades. I’ll see you out there.
- Socialist Night School: Ecosocialism; 1 – 3 PM; Chicago DSA Office, 3411 W. Diversey Ave.
At this Socialist Night School we will talk about the concept of ecosocialism, the fight for climate justice and against environmental racism, and how we can build an environmentally sustainable socialist future.
- Anthony Clark For Congress Petition Collection – Oak Park; 1 – 4 PM; 436 Lake St.
Join team AC as we collect petition signatures in the Oak Park Community to get Anthony on the ballot in March!
- Democratize ComEd Campaign Meeting; 6 – 7:30 PM; Near North Branch, 316 W. Division St.
At our October #DemocratizeComEd General Membership Meeting we’ll regroup, get up to speed on progress, strategize, and coordinate between subcommittees. Whether you’re brand new and have never been to a meeting, or you’ve been with us from the beginning, this meeting is for you! Email DemComEd@gmail.com for more information.
- IL-9 Medicare For All Campaign Meeting; 7 – 8:30 PM; Pub 626, 1406 W. Morse Ave.
Join members of Chicago DSA’s Health Care Working Group as we plan our fight for Medicare for All in Illinois’s ninth congressional district! Help us build the movement that will defeat the health care profiteers and win a future where health care is a universal human right. All are welcome, including those living outside the ninth district and non-DSA members. Please note, the meeting will take place at Pub 626 in the Teal Room. The location is just off of the Morse Red Line CTA station. The pub has tasty drinks/food for purchase!
- West Cook Voter Registrar Training; 7 – 8 PM; Oak Park Township Senior Center, 130 S. Oak Park Ave.
Individuals who serve as deputy registrars play a vital role in the democratic process by registering people to vote. The Cook County Clerk’s office trains people who want to become deputy registrars in suburban Cook County at the request of their sponsoring organization. You must attend the one-hour training session and take the deputy registrar oath. Members from all CDSA branches are welcome to attend but must have RSVP’d by Friday October 18th.
- Free Heartland Kids Boycott Project Meeting; 7 – 8:30 PM; Chicago DSA Office, 3411 W. Diversey Ave.
Join the Free Heartland Kids campaign to work toward the abolition of child immigrant detention in Chicago and beyond! This is a meeting for the Boycott Project, one of the current priority projects within the Free Heartland Kids campaign. The Boycott Project is focused on leveraging Heartland Alliance’s donors to pressure Heartland to close their detention centers, free the kids, and reunite them with their families. Come to this meeting to learn about the project, get involved and discuss strategy!
- Solidarity Economy Working Group Meeting; 6:30 – 8:30 PM; Harold Washington Library, 400 S. State St.
Solidarity. Equity In All Dimensions. Participatory Democracy. Sustainability. Pluralism. These are the five principles uplifted by the US Solidarity Economy Network to define a solidarity economy.At this month’s meeting, we will recap recent developments in Chicago’s solidarity economy landscape, discuss personal ways we are working to further the solidarity economy, brainstorm shared projects to grow public understanding of a solidarity economy, seek writing and research for sections of a zine/pamphlet highlighting Chicago’s solidarity economy initiatives, report back from Eco-Socialism Conference and Green Party’s shift towards the solidarity economy, evaluating the work of Cooperation Humboldt and North Coast People’s Alliance incubation hubs in Northern California for solidarity economy initiatives, and review of Project South’s webinar on organizing People’s Movement Assemblies and its importance in the solidarity economy framework. We’re meeting at Harold Washington Library 7th Floor North.
- Electoral Working Group Meeting; 6:30 – 8:30 PM; Location TBD
Come to this month’s Electoral Working Group Meeting to get involved in CDSA’s most recently endorsed campaign- Anthony Clark for Congress (IL-07)! We’ll also be discussing IPO involvement, Bernie 2020, Red Star Bulletin and our bylaw update. Location has changed due to CPS strike. Email email@example.com for more information.
- Socialist Feminist Working Group Meeting; 7 – 8:30 PM; Chicago DSA Office, 3411 W. Diversey Ave.
Time for another meeting with your friendly Socialist Feminist Working Group. Join us to learn more about the projects we’re working on and how you can get involved.
- IL-5 Medicare For All Campaign Meeting; 7 – 8:30 PM; Conrad Sulzer Library, 4455 N. Lincoln Ave.
Join us for our monthly Illinois 5th congressional district Medicare For All meeting. We’ll be discussing recent canvassing efforts, upcoming events, and how we’ll continue to organize to flip Rep. Mike Quigley on this issue.
- Sex Work Is Work; 6:30 – 8 PM; Conrad Sulzer Library, 4455 N. Lincoln Ave.
At this year’s National DSA Convention in Atlanta, we adopted to prioritize decriminalizing sex work. Come to a panel discussion on why as socialists, we view this as labor, how immigration and borders fits in, and what we can do locally to support sex workers.
- Anthony Clark For Congress Canvass; 10 AM – 1 PM; Oak Park Farmers Market, 436 Lake St.
Help get CDSA-endorsed Anthony Clark on the ballot! We’ll be at the Oak Park Farmer’s Market from 10am-1pm. Come whenever you can, any time you have to give goes a long way!
- Southside Political Education Meeting: Immigration Justice; 2 – 4 PM; U.E. Hall, 37 S. Ashland Ave.
At this meeting we will be discussing immigration justice in the United States, including the role of capitalism in US immigration policy and how you can help defend the rights of migrants in your community.
- Red Ed: Marx Reading Group Session 2; 6 – 8 PM; Chicago DSA Office, 3411 W. Diversey Ave.
Please join us to begin the first chapter of Capital volume 1, “The Commodity,” in which Marx starts his journey through capitalism with what at first glance makes our economic system different from all others: the appearance of numerous commodities for exchange. We expect the discussion to last around an hour and half (give or take), and we will use feminist discussion principles to conduct a facilitated discussion. No prior experience w Marx required, but we will kept the conversation text based, so we hope people who join us will be able to complete the reading. If you need the reading material, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com and we will provide you with a PDF version.
- Political Education & Policy Committee Meeting; 6:30 – 8 PM; Zoom Teleconference
Please RSVP for the Political Education & Policy Committee Meeting and we will send you the video conference info. We will be discussing our policy newsletter, the Red Star Bulletin, our Socialist Night Schools, some bylaws for our committee, and other new business. Please note that for voting purposes, you should have attended a Political Education Committee meeting or retreat in the last three months. RSVP: https://forms.gle/h5z26XBSC6MQ3Y3W9
- If you would like to receive our Red Star Bulletin, providing you with news and analysis from all over Chicago, fill out this form.
- The Strike and Solidarity Committee is looking for strike captains! If you’re interested in being a strike captain (no experience required!), fill out this survey about the times and areas where you could help. They have also set up an SMS system to keep people posted about strike and solidarity actions. People that want to get updates should text SOLIDARITY to 55222.
- The Electoral Working Group would like to announce that its endorsement questionnaire is now available! Requests can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- If you are a CDSA meber but aren’t on the CDSA Slack Channel yet, and would like to be, shoot me an email at email@example.com and I’ll get you set up with it.
- Grievance Policy. If you ever feel you are being harassed by another member of DSA, or made to feel uncomfortable by a member, or have a conflict with another member, please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org to get in touch with our chapter’s Harassment and Grievance Officers.
- No Sanctions, No War on Iran Ad Hoc Committee Update: The Ad Hoc committee held an educational at the CDSA general membership meeting on September 29. Thanks to all who attended. We have developed both basic background reading and a more developed reading list on Iran, the history of the development of the Gulf states, Yemen, Saudi Arabia, oil and the geopolitics of oil. You can find these here. Please visit, like and invite others to our Facebook page. We are planning to hold more educational and organizational meetings on a few campuses in the coming weeks. If interested, to find out more, or to work with the committee, contact: Saman at email@example.com and Sophie at NoIranSanctions@gmail.com.
Fill out this form immediately if you have CDSA organized/sponsored event you want on the calendar. Submissions must be in by the preceding Friday at the latest to make this email.
Check out the events page on our website for the most up date list of events.
Forward this email to your friends!