Good Morning Chicago DSA,
Well, with the calendar looking barren for the holidays after this week, this will be the final TWITCDSA of 2019. We’ve had quite a bit to be proud of this year, and I have little doubt that 2020 will be even better.
I hope all of you have a lovely holiday period, whatever you do or don’t celebrate. Please take advantage of this opportunity to reflect and relax, because when we come back in January, we’re going to have to put the pedal to the metal ahead of the Illinois Democratic Primary on March 17.
That said, we do still have another week of big events before we hit the holiday break. There’s something for just about everyone in this week’s docket.
Keep up the good work, comrades. I’ll see you out there.
- Anthony Clark For Congress- Oak Park Canvass; 11:30 AM – 2:30 PM; The Happy Apple Pie Shop, 226 Harrison St.
Join us as we talk to voters in the Oak Park community! RSVP here: tinyURL.com/AC2020canvass
- Capital Reading Group, Meeting #4, Chs 4-6; 6 – 8 PM; U.E. Hall, 37 S. Ashland Ave.
Join us for the next meeting of the Capital Vol I reading group! The reading group meets once every three weeks or so, with about 50 pages a session. It hopes to be an opportunity for active organizers and activists to deepen their socialist analysis and broaden their strategic horizons. The next session will discuss chapters 4 through 6. Copies of the reading can be provided if you don’t have a copy of the book. Also, as an optional supplement to the reading, you can check out this video from David Harvey. Given the occasional difficulty of Marx’s texts as well as the complexity of his ideas, the discussion will be facilitated according to feminist processes. We aim for the reading and discussion to be text-based, inclusive, comradely, and above all democratic in spirit. The reading group is not for experts to flex their chops, it is a space for active socialists to discover one of the most important texts in the socialist tradition — and to become better socialists in the process. Note about membership: To keep the reading group welcoming and practical, we will be aiming for attendees who are active DSA members engaged in work in our chapter or nationally. We will also be working to maintain a welcoming gender balance in the space. If you would like to join, please join us, but bear this in mind. The reading group is organized by the CDSA political education committee.
- Free Heartland Kids Campaign Meeting; 7 – 9 PM; Chicago DSA Office, 3411 W. Diversey Ave.
Join the Free Heartland Kids campaign to work toward the abolition of child immigrant detention in Chicago and beyond! We’ll be discussing our most recent direct actions and planning for 2020.
- Democratize ComEd General Membership Meeting; 6 – 7 PM; Bucktown-Wicker Park Library, 1701 N. Milwaukee Ave.
Every other month, we hold a general membership meeting to regroup, get everyone aligned and up to speed on our progress, plan strategy, and coordinate between committees. Whether you’re brand new and have never been to a meeting, or you’ve been with us from the beginning, we need you here so we can win.
- Socialist Feminist Working Group Holiday Social; 6:30 – 9 PM; Hopewell Brewing, 2760 N. Milwaukee Ave.
Join us for the Socialist Feminist Working Group’s holiday social! Please bring an appetizer/dessert to share if you can. All are welcome! This location is ADA compliant.
- Afrosocialist + Socialist of Color Caucus Meeting; 6 – 8 PM; U.E. Hall, 37 S. Ashland Ave.
Join the Afrosocialist + Socialist of Color Caucus for our monthly meeting. We’ll be discussing current events, campaigns around the city, and more. We have two short readings this month: What the coup against Evo Morales means to indigenous people like me – Nick Estes and Socialism and the American Negro – W.E.B. DuBois
- CDSA For Bernie Debate Watch Party; 7 – 10 PM; Burlington Bar, 3425 W. Fullerton Ave.
Join Chicago DSA to support Bernie for the last Democratic Debate of 2019! Only 14 minutes away from the Logan Square Blue Line!
- Rent Control Action; 4 – 6 PM; Whole Foods Market, 3201 N. Ashland Ave.
Lift the Ban’s final major action of the year will send a clear message to lawmakers heading back to Springfield: we see you. it’s time to choose between your corporate real estate donors, or the working class’ demand for rent control. Lend your strength to the cause. Meet at 4 pm at Whole Foods Market at Ashland and Belmont, then march to our final action location. We will be travelling a few short blocks on sidewalks that should be clear for mobility purposes. Signs encourages.
- CDSA For Bernie Uptown Canvass; 10 AM – 2 PM; Bezazian Branch, 1226 W. Ainslie St.
Join CDSA For Bernie as we knock doors in Uptown for Bernie! This location is accessible but unfortunately doesn’t have gender neutral bathrooms.
- Anthony Clark For Congress — Kenwood/Oakland Canvass; 11:30 – 2:30 PM; Baskin Robbins, 1400 E. 47th St.
Join us as we talk to voters in the Kenwood/Oakland community! RSVP here: tinyURL.com/AC2020canvass
- If you have a proposal for the CDSA Executive Committe, you can use this form to submit it. Please indicate whether you want your proposal to be voted on in person or online, and if you select in person, the proposal must be submitted by the Sunday before the next Executive Committee Meeting.
- The US Healthcare system sucks. That’s not news. But we want to hear from you on exactly why you believe we need Medicare For All. Tell us your story of how insufficient or exploitative or expensive healthcare radicalized you! We will be publishing some stories on Midwest Socialist, so be sure to keep an eye out!
- If you would like to receive our Red Star Bulletin, providing you with news and analysis from all over Chicago, fill out this form.
- The Strike and Solidarity Committee is looking for strike captains! If you’re interested in being a strike captain (no experience required!), fill out this survey about the times and areas where you could help. They have also set up an SMS system to keep people posted about strike and solidarity actions. People that want to get updates should text SOLIDARITY to 55222.
- The Electoral Working Group would like to announce that its endorsement questionnaire is now available! Requests can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- If you are a CDSA member but aren’t on the CDSA Slack Channel yet, and would like to be, shoot me an email at email@example.com and I’ll get you set up with it.
- Grievance Policy. If you ever feel you are being harassed by another member of DSA, or made to feel uncomfortable by a member, or have a conflict with another member, please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org to get in touch with our chapter’s Harassment and Grievance Officers.
- No Sanctions, No War on Iran Ad Hoc Committee Update: The Ad Hoc committee held an educational at the CDSA general membership meeting on September 29. Thanks to all who attended. We have developed both basic background reading and a more developed reading list on Iran, the history of the development of the Gulf states, Yemen, Saudi Arabia, oil and the geopolitics of oil. You can find these here. Please visit, like and invite others to our Facebook page. We are planning to hold more educational and organizational meetings on a few campuses in the coming weeks. If interested, to find out more, or to work with the committee, contact: Saman at email@example.com and Sophie at NoIranSanctions@gmail.com.
Fill out this form immediately if you have CDSA organized/sponsored event you want on the calendar. Submissions must be in by the preceding Friday at the latest to make this email.
Check out the events page on our website for the most up date list of events.
Forward this email to your friends!