- Repeal the Rent Control Preemption Act of 1997
- Establish rent control for Chicago residents
- Cancel rents and mortgages
- Build tenant unions citywide
- Guarantee housing as a human right rather than a commodity
As part of the Chicago Tenants Movement, Chicago DSA fights alongside tenants directly organizing for justice and fair treatment from their landlords. And, as part of the Lift the Ban Coalition, we fight to establish rent control statewide as a necessary first step in taking back power from wealthy developers, curbing gentrification and displacement, and tackling Illinois’ housing crisis.
As a member of these coalitions, Chicago DSA runs pressure campaigns on local and state politicians, specific landlords, and other representatives of the ruling class. We also participate in mass outreach, community defense, and direct tenant organizing.