If you're interested in adding an event to this calendar, please send information to our Communications Committee through this form.
- This event has passed.
#FreeHeartlandKids Week of Action
June 20 @ 11:00 am - 1:00 pm UTC+0
Hundreds of immigrant children are being detained in our backyard. Heartland Alliance is a Chicago-based nonprofit org that has historically focused on anti-poverty and immigration issues. Heartland currently operates 5 child detention centers and, until recently, 2 in Des Plaines. Currently, over 350 children are detained by Heartland.
The Chicago DSA Immigrants Rights Committee is fighting back.
Join us for a week of action, June 17-22 to:
1. engage Heartland leadership and staff to convince them to commit to ending child immigrant detention;
2. demonstrate against Heartland’s detention operation, distribute informational material, and educate the public on the state of child immigrant detention in Chicago and why it needs to come to an immediate end.
On Monday we will be delivering a letter to David Sinski, the executive director of Heartland Human Care Services. In our letter, we will ask Mr. Sinski and Heartland to:
1. immediately cease intaking immigrant children into their detention centers;
2. immediately end their contract with the Office of Refugee Resettlement (ORR) at the US Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) to detain immigrant children;
3. release and reunify the immigrant children in their physical custody with their sponsors and families in the United States as soon as possible without sharing those sponsors’ and families’ biometric data, documentation status, or any other personal information with ICE or any agency that shares information with ICE;
4. pledge to use their resources and power to fight for a true detention-free, deportation-free, and ICE-free zone in Chicago and the Chicagoland area.
This is a nonviolent action. We especially do not want to put participants who may be vulnerable on account of their documentation status at risk of arrest during this action. Ultimately, of course, the relevant authorities are responsible for how they choose to respond to our nonviolent action, but it is important that participants understand that a nonviolent action is what the the Free Heartland Kids campaign is engaging in for this week.
ALL ARE WELCOME! We will have signs, banners, leaflets, petitions, chants, and more depending on the time and day. You can show up with nothing but your principles, and we will have material and information to offer you. If you would like to bring your own signs, banners, leaflets, petitions, chants, and more, we welcome them!
6/17-6/21 MONDAY- FRIDAY- 11am-1pm demonstrations, Heartland HQ (208 S LaSalle)
6/17 MONDAY- 12:30pm Letter Delivery
6/21 FRIDAY- 11am-1pm AND 4:30-6:30pm demonstrations, Heartland HQ (208 S LaSalle)
6/22 SATURDAY- 2pm, 1628 W Morse, Heartland’s Rogers Park Detention Center location